Congratulations on your fine story about Bob Bennett, now stepping down after such a laudable career in the U.S. Senate. Although I'm sure my letter will win me few friends, I feel the need to go on record in deploring the way in which his defeat was brought about.
When I attended our GOP caucus I was appalled at the recital of the so-called qualifications of those seeking to attend the state convention. It seemed to be a contest of just who hated Bennett the most. Like President Obama, whom they professed to hate only slightly more, they just preached the need for change. And what had Bennett done to merit the ire of so many here in Utah? His primary sin seemed to be that he was "not conservative enough," the proof being that he had (gasp!) reached across the aisle to cooperate with Democrats to bring to pass legislation that he felt might benefit the country and Utah. In other words, he recognized that politics is "the art of the possible," and that often compromise is necessary for progress to be made.
And those who are so stridently advocating a return to the Constitution might want to brush up on the history of the Constitutional Convention that brought about that "bundle of compromises." Had today's so-called hard-line pro-Constitution advocates been in control at Philadelphia in 1787, they probably would have returned home with the Articles of Confederation still intact.
To have ousted Bennett is one thing; to have done it the way it was done was an embarrassment to me as a Republican.
- In our opinion: Democracy and political...
- Jeff Singer: From doctors to bureaucrats: A...
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Legislative...
- Letter: No sportsmanship, no class
- Letter: Hive Pass prices unfair
- Charles Krauthammer: Serious foreign policy,...
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- Letter: Invite the divine 37
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win... 36
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 35
- Letter: Putin's invasion 24
- Richard Davis: Russia should be stopped... 21
- Letter: Democracy is ... 19
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:... 19
- Will November be a referendum on... 17