Utah Jazz Extra: 5 notable trends from the pre-Christmas road trip
When it comes to the NFL, I bleed black and gold. You could say I was cut from the cloth of a Terrible Towel, if you were into saying weird things like that. Anyway, the Jazz had last Sunday off and played in Cleveland on Monday. When I realized the Steelers were playing only two hours away from C-Town, I felt morally obligated to fork over hundreds of dollars to rebook my flight and buy a ticket to attend Heinz Field for the first time. So what if the Jets beat the Troy Polamalu-less Steelers and my body didn't thaw out until a hot shower in my hotel hours after the game ended. I was as happy to be there as Al Jefferson was to be traded away from Minnesota. Being amongst my people in Steel Town and having my first oppportunity to wave my gold towel sure beat a day off in Ohio. (And, no, big Steelers' fan Deron Williams did not go on the road-trip detour.) I rank the experience higher than the beignets sampled in New Orleans and above riding a roller-coaster in Minneapolis' massive mall. Hopefully, NBA/NFL schedule-makers oblige me next year, too.
Today vs. Trail Blazers, 7 p.m., FSN
Think C.J. Miles will get an open look after hitting seven 3-pointers against Portland the last time they played?
Wed. at Clippers, 8:30 p.m., FSN/NBA-TV
L.A. might try something new and not take a double-digit lead. Clips have blown leads of 18 and 10 vs. Jazz so far.
Thursday at Blazers, 8 p.m., FSN
Yes, both Jazz visits to Portland this season are on the tail end of back-to-back situations. But it didn't hurt last time.
Saturday vs. Grizzlies, 7 p.m., FSN
Granted, Memphis isn't exactly a top-shelf opponent. But an NBA game sure beats making resolutions, doesn't it?
The Big Stat: 125
How many more wins Jazz coach Jerry Sloan (1,211 wins) needs to pass up Don Nelson (1,335) and become the all-time winningest coach in NBA history. If Sloan continues coaching and the Jazz keep winning at their current pace, the milestone would happen in the 2012-13 season.
Who's hot: Jerry Sloan
Jazz coach moved into third place on NBA's all-time coaching wins list.
Who's not: Kyrylo Fesenko
Sank 2 straight free throws but did little else during 4-game road trip.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44