Utah Jazz: Jerry Sloan's present to team: 50 hours off
SALT LAKE CITY — Jerry Sloan didn't give his players any neckties, John Deere hats or fruitcake for Christmas presents.
The Jazz coach did give them about 50 hours off, though
The team will happily take that breather even if it didn't come with fancy packaging or a pretty bow.
Thanks to a break in the schedule, the Jazz practiced Friday morning and won't see each other again until late Sunday afternoon when they reconvene to prepare for Wesley Matthew and Portland on Monday night.
As Santa might say: Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good … rare two days out of the gym.
"We're trying to give them as much time off as we can," Sloan said. "I think it's important for them to have as much time off so they can be with their family.
"And hopefully," he added, "that regenerates them as much as anything. I think having an opportunity to be away from basketball a little bit, that should help you a lot within itself."
Several players have family visiting.
"It's fun," said Jazz point guard Deron Williams, who has a packed house this weekend. "A good time of year."
Guard Raja Bell said his relatives were headed to the ski slopes on Christmas Eve, while his young sons were "going crazy" waiting for Santa's arrival.
"I got my family in town," Bell said, "and we're enjoying each other … just good times with everybody hanging out."
Bell told family members not to get him any presents (though he wouldn't turn down a James Bond car).
Sloan isn't asking for anything special, either.
"I have Christmas every day," he said. "I don't know how I could have it any better than what I've had over the years."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45