Player of the game
Utah had no answer for the Boise State receiver, as he caught 12 passes for 127 yards and a touchdown.
The Utes killed themselves with penalties. They had a total of 10 flags for 83 yards. Two of the penalties stood out as most costly — an ineligible player downfield call in the first quarter that nullified a long pass, and a holding penalty that had a touchdown called back in the third quarter.
By the numbers
217-32. That was the difference in yardage in the second quarter, and the total went in Boise State's favor. After Doug Martin's 84-yard touchdown run, quarterback Kellen Moore got in rhythm and the Broncos outscored the Utes 16-0 in the second quarter.
"Boise is a really good team, but I think it's all on us. I mean, everybody watched the game, everybody saw what happened. Just a few things and it could have been different."
Utah's sophomore wide receiver
VS. MONTANA STATE
When: Sept. 1, 2011
Where: Rice-Eccles Stadium
Note: This game is nine days before the Utes start their Pac-12 campaign at USC.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28