Player of the game
Utah had no answer for the Boise State receiver, as he caught 12 passes for 127 yards and a touchdown.
The Utes killed themselves with penalties. They had a total of 10 flags for 83 yards. Two of the penalties stood out as most costly — an ineligible player downfield call in the first quarter that nullified a long pass, and a holding penalty that had a touchdown called back in the third quarter.
By the numbers
217-32. That was the difference in yardage in the second quarter, and the total went in Boise State's favor. After Doug Martin's 84-yard touchdown run, quarterback Kellen Moore got in rhythm and the Broncos outscored the Utes 16-0 in the second quarter.
"Boise is a really good team, but I think it's all on us. I mean, everybody watched the game, everybody saw what happened. Just a few things and it could have been different."
Utah's sophomore wide receiver
VS. MONTANA STATE
When: Sept. 1, 2011
Where: Rice-Eccles Stadium
Note: This game is nine days before the Utes start their Pac-12 campaign at USC.
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Morning links: Hayward becomes 'gaming...
- High school wrestling: Pleasant Grove dynasty...
- 3 Utah football coaches promoted in staff...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 71
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 60
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39