Jeff Zelevansky, Getty Images
Auburn QB Newton wins AP Player of Year
AUBURN, Ala. — Cam Newton is reaping the rewards for helping No. 1 Auburn vault from the back of the Top 25 to the national championship game.
The Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback has added AP Player of the Year to his collection of honors. Newton has already won the Davey O'Brien and Maxwell awards.
An NCAA investigation into Newton's recruitment, which found his father tried to sell his son's services to Mississippi State, had no effect on his play — or the player of the year voting. Much like the Heisman, it was a landslide.
Newton received 51 votes from the 60-member AP football poll panel. Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore received three, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck got two and four ballots were unreturned.
Poinsettia Bowl on despite flooding
SAN DIEGO — Navy might want to bring a dry dock.
San Diego State could pitch in with some bilge pumps.
The two teams are scheduled to play in the Poinsettia Bowl on Thursday night at Qualcomm Stadium, where several days of heavy rain left the field under several inches of water just more than 24 hours before kickoff.
A seal or two might show up, and not necessarily from the elite Navy unit based in Coronado.
"We have every intention of kicking off at 5:06 p.m.," executive director Bruce Binkowski said Wednesday. "The stadium grounds crew work will work round the clock to make sure they get in the game."
On Wednesday afternoon, the tarp covering the field looked more like a pool cover. The field appeared to be under perhaps 10 inches or more of muddy water.
It rained so hard Tuesday that Navy and SDSU practiced in hotel ballrooms. SDSU held its Wednesday walkthrough on campus while Navy found a nearby high school with a turf field.
49ers starting QB unknown; Tebow to start
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — The San Francisco 49ers still aren't saying who their starting quarterback will be for Sunday's pivotal NFC West game against the St. Louis Rams.
Even offensive coordinator Mike Johnson says he doesn't know.
Coach Mike Singletary said on Tuesday that he already had decided who would start between Alex Smith and Troy Smith but that "it's something that I don't really want to announce right now."
A day later, Johnson said he had no knowledge of Singletary's decision.
TEBOW TO START REST OF SEASON: It's Tim Tebow time for the remainder of the season whether Kyle Orton likes the situation or not.
Orton said he was informed by the Denver Broncos that the rookie will start not only Sunday against Houston, but also in the season finale when San Diego visits Denver.
—Deseret News wire reports
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 49
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 44
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 14
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline... 12
- Utah State wide receiver/kick returner... 10