In his first visit to Minnesota since being traded to Utah this past offseason, Jefferson hauled in nine rebounds and swatted seven shots in addition to scoring 23 points.
Williams led the Jazz with 25 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, while Millsap had a strong double-double of 23 points and 11 boards.
But the play of Earl Watson (four points, two assists) and Hayward (five points, three assists, three rebounds) in that fourth quarter really gave Utah a big boost.
Hayward played so well that Sloan kept him on the court the entire fourth quarter.
"It was fun," the 20-year-old top-10 pick said. "I just tried to get out there and bring some energy."
Kevin Love topped Minnesota with 25 points and 19 rebounds — a monster night that was complemented nicely by Michael Beasley's 24 points and 10 boards.
Those two duked it out with Millsap and Jefferson all night, including late in the game before the Jazz scored the final seven points.
But Jefferson's second-half, 9-for-12 shooting performance topped them all. He said a good friend — from Utah — told him to "relax." He did, and it showed as he helped his new team stave off an upset from his pesky old teammates.
"It was just good to win the game, not necessarily just beat my old team," Jefferson said. "Games like this we have to win."
Jefferson, who averaged more than 20 points and 10 boards in three seasons in Minnesota, was given a rousing reception in introductions by appreciative Minnesota fans.
"It was just good to come back and get a great welcome from the fans," Jefferson said. "The fans still supported me and that made me feel good. We had three long years in Minnesota. We didn't win a lot of games, but I think the fans know I gave it everything I got the three years I was here."
All-time NBA winningest coaches
1. Don Nelson 1,335
2. Lenny Wilkens 1,332
3. Jerry Sloan 1,211
4. Pat Riley 1,210
5. Phil Jackson 1,119
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Jazz notes: What happens when Joe Ingles...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- BYU football hires former player Jack Damuni...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 42
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25