In his first visit to Minnesota since being traded to Utah this past offseason, Jefferson hauled in nine rebounds and swatted seven shots in addition to scoring 23 points.
Williams led the Jazz with 25 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, while Millsap had a strong double-double of 23 points and 11 boards.
But the play of Earl Watson (four points, two assists) and Hayward (five points, three assists, three rebounds) in that fourth quarter really gave Utah a big boost.
Hayward played so well that Sloan kept him on the court the entire fourth quarter.
"It was fun," the 20-year-old top-10 pick said. "I just tried to get out there and bring some energy."
Kevin Love topped Minnesota with 25 points and 19 rebounds — a monster night that was complemented nicely by Michael Beasley's 24 points and 10 boards.
Those two duked it out with Millsap and Jefferson all night, including late in the game before the Jazz scored the final seven points.
But Jefferson's second-half, 9-for-12 shooting performance topped them all. He said a good friend — from Utah — told him to "relax." He did, and it showed as he helped his new team stave off an upset from his pesky old teammates.
"It was just good to win the game, not necessarily just beat my old team," Jefferson said. "Games like this we have to win."
Jefferson, who averaged more than 20 points and 10 boards in three seasons in Minnesota, was given a rousing reception in introductions by appreciative Minnesota fans.
"It was just good to come back and get a great welcome from the fans," Jefferson said. "The fans still supported me and that made me feel good. We had three long years in Minnesota. We didn't win a lot of games, but I think the fans know I gave it everything I got the three years I was here."
All-time NBA winningest coaches
1. Don Nelson 1,335
2. Lenny Wilkens 1,332
3. Jerry Sloan 1,211
4. Pat Riley 1,210
5. Phil Jackson 1,119
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Tibor...
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul Millsap...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 50
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 33
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 19
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 13