(20) Utah (10-2) vs. (10) Boise State (11-1)
Today, 6 p.m. (MT) Sam Boyd Stadium
TurfTech Surface Las Vegas
TV: ESPN Radio: 700 AM
55 degrees with 70 percent chance of rain, winds 11 mph
For Boise State ... The Broncos came oh-so-close to making a third trip to the Bowl Championship Series. A decisive win could prove they belonged in the big show.
For Boise State ... The Broncos have the nation's No. 2 scoring offense. They average 46.6 points per game. Boise State's defense is No. 4 overall, allowing just 13.5 ppg.
For Utah ... The Utes own the longest active bowl victory streak in the nation. They've won nine straight dating back to a win over Fresno State in the 1999 Las Vegas Bowl.
For Boise State... The Broncos appear to have advantages across the board. Question is, will they come to play after coming up short in another BCS bid?
For Utah... The Utes have won 16 straight games when having eight or more days to prepare under Kyle Whittingham.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Kellen Moore, Boise State: The Heisman Trophy finalist is second in the nation in pass efficiency with a 185.04 rating. The junior averages 290.4 yards of total offense per game.
Terrance Cain, Utah: The senior will get the start at quarterback in place of the injured Jordan Wynn. Will his career with the Utes end with a 10th victory or a second loss?
Boise State's D-line vs. Utah's O-line: The Broncos are second in the nation with 45 sacks. The Utes, meanwhile, have given up just eight all season — fifth fewest in the country.
Boise State: Tight end Tommy Gallarda (foot) is doubtful and linebacker Byron Hout (foot) will not play.
Utah: Quarterback Jordan Wynn (shoulder) and left tackle John Cullen (forearm) will not play.
The Utes open the 2011 season at home against Montana State on Sept. 1 before ushering in Pac-12 play the next week at USC.
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 2 vs. Pitt W, 27-24 (OT)
Sept. 11 vs. UNLV W, 38-10
Sept. 18 at New Mexico W, 56-14
Sept. 25 vs. San Jose W, 56-3
Oct. 9 at Iowa State W, 68-27
Oct. 16 at Wyoming W, 30-6
Oct. 23 vs. Colorado St. W, 59-6
Oct. 30 at Air Force W, 28-23
Nov. 6 TCU L, 47-7
Nov. 13 at Notre Dame L, 28-3
Nov. 20 at SDSU W, 38-34
Nov. 27 BYU W, 17-16
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Morning links: Were the Utes the latest...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35