"Once students realize what existed before and what we did to bring about those changes, that becomes the teachable moment. The worst thing that could happen is that people come to believe that things cannot change," Lafayette said.
Lafayette said "Freedom Riders" recalls a time in U.S. history that must never be forgotten.
The documentary includes black-and-white footage of the buses under attack, as well as interviews with participants and government officials who sought to quell the situation for the Kennedy Administration.
John Seigenthaler, a Tennessee native who served as a special assistant to Attorney General Robert Kennedy, said on film that he wasn't aware of the plight of blacks on segregated buses before the rides.
Seigenthaler had tried to persuade the activists to call off protests, fearing further violence. But he said Diane Nash, a Fisk University student and a founding member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, refused. He says on film that Nash told him the riders had signed their last will and testament because "'we know someone will be killed. But we cannot let violence overcome nonviolence.'"
During an eight-month period in 1961, more than 400 blacks and whites traveled on the buses into the South. Many were beaten and jailed, but none died.
The film has had select screenings nationwide.
Thomas, now the owner of McDonald's restaurants and Marriott hotels, attended last month's showing at The Alamo Theater in Jackson to standing ovations.
"We were treated like conquering heroes or superstars when we walked on the stage. There was thunderous applause," Thomas said of a theater brimming with hundreds of people. "I felt a little bit embarrassed by it all."
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it can...
- Creators of Love Taza blog encourage...
- Sharing stories is how to best leave a...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting around the...
- RootsTech 2016 a 25,000-member 'studio audience'
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography
- The Clean Cut: Chicago Blackhawks surprise...
- What it's like for a dad to raise a fencing...
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography 13
- As 'Sesame Street' debuts on HBO, some... 2
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it... 2
- UTubers: Utah native stars as Sandy in... 1
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Father's... 1
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Losing weight... 1
- Tangy orange shrimp dish that's quickly... 1
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting... 1