5. Each Sterling Scholar nominee should submit a portfolio containing entry forms, exhibits and other information. This portfolio must conform to "Guidelines for Preparing Portfolios". For the Wasatch Front area, each school's portfolios should be delivered to the Deseret News on or before Jan. 31, 2011. Portfolios can be delivered in person (by school coordinator, principal or assistant principal only) or shipped as a school to:
Deseret News Marketing/Promotions/Special Events Department 55 North 300 West Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Marketing/Promotions/Special Events Department
55 North 300 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
PLEASE NOTE: Portfolios will not be accepted on an individual basis or by anyone other than the principal, assistant principal or coordinator. ALSO: Portfolios will be returned only to the school coordinator, principal or assistant principal the night of the awards ceremony.
6. Exhibits are allowed in all categories for interviews. Nominees will be responsible for transporting exhibits to and from places of judging. Exhibits that cannot be accommodated in portfolios should not be sent to the Deseret News but should be reserved for judging interviews. Remember, upon entering the building, the number of exhibits taken to the interview is limited to what can be carried in the arms of the nominee in one trip without the help of others. (Parents, fellow nominees, etc. ARE NOT ALLOWED to assist in any way.)
7. Students will be judged on their portfolios, exhibits and personal interviews. The interviews are important and nominees should prepare for them.
ALL NOMINEES MUST BE PRESENT AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME AND PLACE FOR THE INTERVIEWS. FAILURE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PERSONAL INTERVIEW WILL BE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS. All nominees must be present at the appropriate time and place for the interviews. Failure to participate in the personal interview may be grounds for disqualification. There are no exceptions. Depending on unforseen circumstances, the Deseret News-KSL 5 Television may reschedule judging of interviews. No provisions will be made to schedule special interviews to suit individual needs or for a videotape, audiotape, PowerPoint presentation, teleconferencing or another individual to represent that nominee. OFFICIALS FROM THE DESERET NEWS AND KSL 5 TELEVISION WILL NOT OVERRULE ANY JUDGE'S DECISION. In addition, it is not practical to provide for special interview circumstances such as unusual musical instruments that are not available in most high schools. For example, if a nominee needs to play an organ or a marimba for their interview demonstration and an organ or a marimba is not available at the judging site, a video tape may accompany the nominee to the interview but advance notice is required.
8. Please remember, nominees should be counseled to bring only pertinent exhibits to interviews. Any samples, demonstration presentations, keepsakes, or any offering that could be interpreted as gifts for the judges are in extremely poor taste, are not allowed and may result in disqualification.
9. Regional programs follow these same basic Sterling Scholar guidelines but with their own schedule. Some procedures may vary.
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Pittsburgh hires Scott Barnes as athletic...
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes
- Hearing about math at the table can improve...
- Partnership gives Utah students a look inside...
- Utah high school students unprepared for...
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: How one community in...
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Utah high school students unprepared... 14
- Why children with ADHD need to wiggle... 5
- Pittsburgh hires Scott Barnes as... 3
- A better model for legal education 3
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate... 3
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: How one community... 2
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes 2