5. A spiral, velo or similar binding, available at most copy shops, may be used to complete the portfolio. (No loose-leaf binders please.) It is necessary that portfolios open completely and quickly to facilitate the judging process. These booklets must be very durable because they must remain intact throughout the
competition. Therefore we strongly suggest laminating the front and back covers to add reinforcement and durability to the portfolios.
6. Portfolios not adhering to these guidelines may result in deduction of points at the discretion of the judges.
A word about photographs
Nominee photographs should be approximately 3x5 inches of head (perpendicular) with shoulders only. (No hands, books, flowers, etc. in photo). Photographs should be in color if possible.
Photograph students individually against any PLAIN or light-colored background. Avoid any background that would distract from the subject. If photographing outdoors, shoot with the sun or light on the student's face, never against his or her back. (NO LASER PRINTS.)
All nominees' photos should be placed on a disk in .jpg format with the name of the student, category and school. A print-out with the required information should also be submitted along with the disk. However, if a school does not have the equipment to create a disk, individual photos may be submitted. A typewritten label with required information must be placed on the back of each photo.
General information & instructions
TO ALL FACULTY, ADMINISTRATORS, PARENTS AND STUDENTS: PLEASE READ HANDBOOK CAREFULLY. Most questions will be answered by a review of these policies. Nominees MUST follow all guidelines and meet all school and Deseret News deadlines.
ALL PARENTS AND STUDENTS MUST SIGN A PARENT/STUDENT DECLARATION BEFORE PARTICIPATING IN THE STERLING SCHOLAR PROGRAM.
1. Entries will be accepted only from the principal of each school. This ensures the integrity of each nominee.
2. Nominees are to list their full name on all Sterling Scholar forms just as they wish it to appear in the newspaper publication. For example, PLEASE do not list parents as Mr. & Mrs. Bob Jones, instead include both mother and father's name i.e. Bob and Sue Jones. Organizers will be sensitive to situations involving divorced or single parents and step-parents. Please make intentions clear.
3. A foreign-born student attending an English-speaking public high school may not use English or their native tongue as a "foreign language." American Sign Language is not considered a foreign language. Nominees MUST be able to listen, speak, read and write their language.
4. For those participating in the Wasatch Front Sterling Scholar area, each school (coordinator, or principal) must complete and submit the "Report of School Nominees" form and "Parent/Student Declaration" form along with the nominee photos on disk along with a printout on or before Jan. 14, 2011. This deadline should not be confused with the deadline for portfolio submission on Jan. 31, 2011. Each list must be accompanied by a portrait photo, approximately 3x5 inches of each nominee. All photos should be in color. All photos should be placed on a disk in a .jpg format alone with the name of the student, category and school. Please include a printout of photos with the above information also. (If a school does not have the proper equipment to create a disk, individual color photos may be submitted as has been the procedure in the past. Please remember to include a typewritten label with required information on the back.) If individual photos are submitted, they will be returned to the school. (NO LASER PRINTS.) The Jan. 14, 2011 date should not be confused with the deadline for portfolio submission on Jan. 31, 2011. (This is the deadline for high school coordinators to have school portfolios to the Deseret News. Students and parents should check with their school coordinator for school deadlines.)
- 11 states, including Utah, sue over Obama's...
- Art Briles built Baylor brash, bold, leaves...
- National Spelling Bee co-champions include...
- 17-year-old gets degree in biology, physics...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- The best of summer books for the whole family
- U. study shows how huge landslide shaped Zion...
- 10 years of winning words at the national...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- 11 states, including Utah, sue over... 16
- About Utah: Utah teacher greeted by... 3
- U. study shows how huge landslide... 2
- Baptist college decides to fire its... 1
- State, education leaders gear up for... 1
- Manti senior conquers classes and cancer 1