Community Service/Citizenship: ... 24
TOTAL SCORE: ... 92
Please note that many categories are very broad in description, therefore it is very unlikely that each Sterling Scholar nominee will have experience in all areas listed within these descriptions.
Nominee portfolios will be available to judges several hours before interviews begin. It is recommended that judges first read the portfolios and assign preliminary scores. FOLLOWING THE 10-MINUTE INTERVIEW, SCORE SHEETS SHOULD BE RESTUDIED AND NEW VALUES ASSIGNED. In this respect, each judge should work independently, but the selection of finalists, runners-up or winners is made as a panel of judges. Semi-final judges select five finalists and final judges select one winner and two runners-up. Judges MUST NOT allow ties, co-winners or additional finalists.
Supplies will be made available to judges for implementing the above formula. Judging sheets, scores and notes SHOULD NOT be disclosed to anyone at anytime. All paperwork listing scores for individual scholars should be destroyed and results of competition should remain confidential until official announcements are made.
Guidelines for preparing portfolios
1. Each nominee's portfolio should be enclosed in an official Sterling Scholar Awards portfolio cover supplied to each high school by organizers. The name, category and high school of each nominee must be listed beneath the logo on the front cover of the portfolio in any manner, including printed label, calligraphy or laser printing.
2. Portfolios may not contain more than 10 single sheet pages. Clear sheet protectors may be used so that pertinent material may be displayed effectively on both sides. Lamination may also be utilized for cover and/or inside pages. Therefore, if a portfolio contained the maximum number of pages, it would allow
20 "exposures" on the 10 sheets. PLEASE NOTE: English category nominees are allowed four additional single-sided sheets for a total of 24 "exposures." Nominees are encouraged to utilize all pages.
3. • Page 1: nominee's ID page (not supplied by Sterling Scholar organizers) which includes only the nominee's name, photograph, category and school.
• Pages 2 and 3: student entry forms (provided by organizers).
• Page 4 (and if needed 5): a certified list of high school grades must be stamped bearing official school seal or principal's signature and MUST include class ranking, cumulative GPA and ACT scores. Proof of ACT scores required if not on transcript.
• Page 5 or 6 (depending on whether or not nominees required two pages for transcript): the principal's report (provided by organizers).
• Page 6 or 7: the standardized test data sheet (provided by organizers).
• Page 7 (or 8): should be a one-page letter of recommendation by any teacher/instructor. Included in the letter should be the teacher's assessment of the individual with specific reasons for the recommendation plus examples of evidence as to why "this is the best student I have ever had" etc. Any remaining sheets following these required pages is up to the nominee's discretion. It is helpful for judges if sections for leadership and community service/citizenship are somehow identified.
4. PORTFOLIOS ARE NOT TO BE SCRAPBOOKS. Please be selective of material. These booklets must not contain any of the following: heavy cardboard, cloth pages, or more than two layers of paper used for design purposes. Please do not include originals of medals and award certificates. A photocopy of these items is
recommended. Judges prefer more explanation rather than an overload of certificates and artifacts. Please describe what was meaningful, what you learned and what you accomplished.
- 30 questions to ask your kid instead of 'How...
- Finnish schools might understand something...
- BYU student injured in bounce house accident...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- 100,000 students bring Bibles to school for...
- U. burn center celebrates remarkable 2 years...
- What should parents do when their child wants...
- Gov. Gary Herbert among the first to 'fly' in...
- Clinton pitches new gun controls... 16
- 100,000 students bring Bibles to school... 6
- The Latest: Obama to visit Oregon... 5
- UVU now the largest university in Utah,... 4
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- Arne Duncan to step down as Education... 3
- Finnish schools might understand... 1
- BYU student injured in bounce house... 1