The purpose of the Sterling Scholar Awards is to publicly recognize and encourage the pursuit of excellence in scholarship, leadership and citizenship of high school seniors in the state of Utah.
The Deseret News and KSL Television developed the program especially to focus attention on outstanding seniors in order to recognize them publicly as well as award cash scholarships and tuition waivers from participating institutions. The Sterling Scholar Awards program seeks to commend and encourage excellence among all students. All nominees are judged equally on the basis of scholastic achievement without regard to religion, sex, political preference or national origin.
The sponsors salute the extraordinary development of the talents and ideals of each year's outstanding scholars. We gratefully acknowledge the cooperation and assistance of the State Office of Education, Utah colleges and universities, school districts, high school administrations and faculties, Utah businesses and many others.
(The name Sterling Scholar Awards is a registered U.S. Trademark.)
The Deseret News-KSL Television Sterling Scholar Awards program recognizes outstanding scholastic achievement of high school seniors in the state of Utah.
Because of the distance involved and differing academic circumstances, the program is conducted in five independent areas throughout the state's 40 school districts and 29 counties.
These areas are the Wasatch Front, Northeast Utah, Central Utah, Southeast Utah and Southwest Utah. Each area follows the guidelines established by the Deseret News and KSL Television, sponsors of the Sterling Scholar Awards since 1962. However, only the Wasatch Front competition is directly administered by the Deseret News and KSL Television.
The program is sponsored in cooperation with the State Office of Education, district officials and high school administrators as well as colleges and universities that support the program through the offer of scholarships and other financial assistance.
Wasatch Front — Counties: Box Elder, Cache, Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, Tooele, Utah
Northeast Utah — Counties: Rich, Morgan, Summit, Wasatch, Duchesne, Dagget, Uintah
Central Utah — Counties: Juab, Sanpete, Millard, Sevier, Piute, Wayne
Southwest Utah — Counties: Beaver, Iron, Garfield, Washington, Kane
Southeast Utah — Counties: Carbon, Emery, Grand, San Juan
The Deseret News/KSL Television Sterling Scholar Awards would like to acknowledge the outstanding achievements of all students nominated as Sterling Scholars from their high school. While only a few Sterling Scholar nominees will receive our highest recognition, students should be reminded that it is truly a great honor to be nominated by teachers and administrators from their high school who know them best. These students encompass the essence of the Sterling Scholar Awards. Congratulations to all of our high school nominees!
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize...
- South Jordan councilman wants school district...
- Chess in the curriculum? The game that makes...
- U. researchers use fecal transplants to help...
- Are Advanced Placement courses worth it?
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going to...
- 'Horse' exhibit debuts at Natural History...
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize... 55
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Are Advanced Placement courses worth it? 9
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 7
- State School Board postpones decision... 4
- Ending Common Core standards easier... 3
- Chess in the curriculum? The game that... 2
- U. researchers use fecal transplants to... 1