The night sky is full of wonders. Some can be seen by the naked eye, and some need the aid of an orbiting telescope.
Stargazers tonight will have the rare treat of celebrating both the only lunar eclipse of 2010 and the winter solstice.
An Associated Press article that ran in the Deseret News states that North and Central America should be able to view the entire eclipse. It will begin at 12:41 a.m. MST (2:41 a.m. EST) and is expected to last 3 1/2 hours.
Whether or not Utahns will be able to see the eclipse will depend at least in part on the weather. As of mid-day Monday, conditions didnt look promising.
NASA explains why the moon appears red during an eclipse. The moon is reflecting every sunrise and sunset in the world as the Earth crosses in front of the sun.
"You are dealing with the most incredible pictures of the universe that have ever been collected, and you do treat these images with reverence, Ray Villard, a spokesman for the Space Telescope Science Institute, told AOL News. These pictures speak of death and creation, stars blowing up and stars being born — they become almost spiritual. And they become very evocative to people.
AOL explains that "in order to obtain images of the highest quality, Hubble snaps multiple black-and-white photographs using different color filters. The images are then layered upon one another to create a single color image in a 'digital darkroom' using Photoshop."
"Those colors are not artificial — they are as close to reality as we can get, Villard told AOL News.
- Summer movie preview: A look at 21 films and...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Here's my favorite 'Age of Ultron' plot twist
- The most important sacrifice you can make for...
- 5-year-old boy uses unique superpower to save...
- 5-year-old rings bell, celebrates end of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 52
- What not to say to a woman struggling... 19
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- From the makeup aisle: Advice from a... 5
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 3
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases... 1
- What does a Dutch cereal farm have to... 1