Commentary: Dolphins owner should try to hire Gruden or Cowher
Told by a reporter that a lot of people, including the on-site CBS television team, were befuddled by Henne throwing a short, check-down pass to Davone Bess on a third-and-9 play just inside the two-minute warning, Sparano shot back, "Who's a lot of people?
''All those people out there giving you the information, they're not sure exactly what the call was out there."
Buffalo's Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't care what the call was when he had the Bills marching. His touchdown pass to David Nelson on third-and-goal from the Miami 18 probably shouldn't have been thrown at all. Better to take a field goal and an early 3-0 lead than to risk an interception and get nothing.
The ball came out anyway, with Miami linebacker Karlos Dansby right in its path near the goal line. That it whizzed past him for a score after nearly hitting Dansby smack in the forehead was a touch of luck and a taste of the blind aggressiveness that sometimes carries desperate teams.
The Dolphins are too lukewarm to be desperate, even in a virtual elimination game like this one.
Guys like Cowher and Gruden would bring the heat, if nothing else.
Go get one of them if you can, Dolphins. Keep defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, if that works for them.
After three seasons of shuffling every major and minor component of the Miami roster like so many playing cards, it can't really come as a total surprise to Sparano and Ireland if they're the next ones to be dealt out around here.
Dave George writes for The Palm Beach Post. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Story Filed By Cox Newspapers
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- How to get a ballpark-like lawn (+video)
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 120
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8