Commentary: Dolphins owner should try to hire Gruden or Cowher
Told by a reporter that a lot of people, including the on-site CBS television team, were befuddled by Henne throwing a short, check-down pass to Davone Bess on a third-and-9 play just inside the two-minute warning, Sparano shot back, "Who's a lot of people?
''All those people out there giving you the information, they're not sure exactly what the call was out there."
Buffalo's Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't care what the call was when he had the Bills marching. His touchdown pass to David Nelson on third-and-goal from the Miami 18 probably shouldn't have been thrown at all. Better to take a field goal and an early 3-0 lead than to risk an interception and get nothing.
The ball came out anyway, with Miami linebacker Karlos Dansby right in its path near the goal line. That it whizzed past him for a score after nearly hitting Dansby smack in the forehead was a touch of luck and a taste of the blind aggressiveness that sometimes carries desperate teams.
The Dolphins are too lukewarm to be desperate, even in a virtual elimination game like this one.
Guys like Cowher and Gruden would bring the heat, if nothing else.
Go get one of them if you can, Dolphins. Keep defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, if that works for them.
After three seasons of shuffling every major and minor component of the Miami roster like so many playing cards, it can't really come as a total surprise to Sparano and Ireland if they're the next ones to be dealt out around here.
Dave George writes for The Palm Beach Post. E-mail: email@example.com. Story Filed By Cox Newspapers
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 43
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in... 6