Utah Utes football notebook: Utes having maximum allowed practices; Boise not so much
Tom Smart, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — By the time MAACO Bowl Las Vegas kicks off on Wednesday, Utah will have the maximum 15 postseason practices under its belt. Boise State, meanwhile, will fail to reach double-figures.
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham isn't sure which team benefits more. There are, after all, two schools of thought — playing a game more recently or having more practices.
"I think there are arguments on both sides," Whittingham said. "I don't think either team has a particular advantage over the other."
CAIN IS ABLE: Whittingham continues to express confidence in quarterback Terrance Cain, who is starting in place of the injured Jordan Wynn.
Whittingham has told the senior to "just relax, do your thing" against Boise State.
"He's a great athlete," Whittingham said. "He's got a lot of skills."
Cain, meanwhile, is playing it cool.
"I'm feeling great right now," he said. "We've just got to keep it going, keep working hard."
BOWLING AGAIN: Senior running back Matt Asiata is back in a bowl game for the first time since the 2009 Sugar Bowl. A knee injury kept him out of the Poinsettia Bowl last season.
"Everything worked out good. I'm very blessed to play another down," Asiata said of his comeback from knee surgery. "I thank everybody in this community, the coaches, the student body and especially my family."
Asiata appeared in all 12 games this season and is a National Football League draft prospect.
EXTRA POINTS: Right guard Tevita Stevens (ankle) and defensive end Tevita Finau (calf) have returned from injuries and are expected to play. ... Whittingham and Boise State coach Chris Petersen will speak with reporters at a press conference at the Hard Rock Café this afternoon. ... Boise State will be sporting some new Nike uniforms at the game. The Broncos, who will wear the same helmet design they sported against Virginia Tech, will wear blue with orange sleeves. ... Utah's institutional gifts, which are separate from the bowl-awarded point system of goodies, include sweats, hats, shorts and a Visa gift card.
MAACO Bowl Las Vegas
No. 20 Utah (10-2) vs. No. 10 Boise State (11-1)
Wednesday, Dec. 22, 6 p.m.
Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas
TV: ESPN Radio: 700 AMutah notebook
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Several Utahns help LDS school Southern...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 100
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50