Ravell Call, Deseret News
A muffed kickoff return on the opening play, mishandling BYU's blitz and Miner receivers forgetting to run hot routes in the face of pressure on QB Trevor Vittatoe killed UTEP. "I looked up and we were down 24-3 after a quarter," said Price.
"The want was there on both teams but execution they had and we didn't."
Price said his staff made adjustments and began having more success. One of those was to go down field if BYU didn't double cover receiver Kris Evans. "We thought we could beat their corners deep if they didn't bring help, it was a 6-foot-3 receiver going against a 5-7 guy," said Price of a last-gasp effort to score as the first half ended on a fade route over Cougar Brian Logan that fell harmlessly to the ground.
Evans caught three touchdown passes from Vittatoe, but as the game progressed, BYU got to the Miner senior and it took its toll, said Price.
"He got banged up, started throwing the ball high and lost his vision."
BYU outgained UTEP 514 to 233 total yards and took out Bowl Offensive MVP quarterback Jake Heaps with just over nine minutes to play in the game.
"He is no freshman," said Price of Heaps performance, 25 of 34 for 264 yards, four touchdowns and one interception. "He was poised and confident. We didn't do a lot to make him uncomfortable."
"We were our own worst enemy today."
Vittatoe completed 14 of 29 passes for 245 yards and three touchdowns. He was sacked a record four times by BYU defenders including a blindside hit by BYU corner Corby Eason on the first series.
The lone bright spot for the Miners besides Evans' three scoring catches was the return job by Marlon McClure, who set a bowl record on his 72-yard first-half kickoff return.
BYU held the Miners to minus-12 rushing yards, the lowest by a UTEP team since minus-53 at New Mexico in 2001.
"We didn't think we would run a lot in this game but we believed we could throw it and make plays," said Price.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 14
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named... 7
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 7