Denis Poroy, Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — The San Francisco 49ers have hit the desperation stage of their season.
If Seattle and St. Louis both win this weekend, the Niners' slim playoff hopes are officially gone. Because, the Seahawks and Rams face off in the final game of the season in Seattle — which means one of them would wind up with eight victories and the division title in the awful NFC West.
Even if San Francisco (5-9) wins at St. Louis and home against Arizona on Jan. 2, it might not be enough. The 49ers need help.
And, after an embarrassing 34-7 loss at San Diego on Thursday night, coach Mike Singletary is contemplating yet another quarterback switch from Alex Smith back to Troy Smith.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32