Denis Poroy, Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — The San Francisco 49ers have hit the desperation stage of their season.
If Seattle and St. Louis both win this weekend, the Niners' slim playoff hopes are officially gone. Because, the Seahawks and Rams face off in the final game of the season in Seattle — which means one of them would wind up with eight victories and the division title in the awful NFC West.
Even if San Francisco (5-9) wins at St. Louis and home against Arizona on Jan. 2, it might not be enough. The 49ers need help.
And, after an embarrassing 34-7 loss at San Diego on Thursday night, coach Mike Singletary is contemplating yet another quarterback switch from Alex Smith back to Troy Smith.
- BYU football players like the variety, travel...
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign four-year,...
- Defensive effort, accountability among Utah...
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- Former Utah hoops star Billy 'The Hill'...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 287
- Is independence a viable option for... 128
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 31
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 28
- BYU football players like the variety,... 24
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 18
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign... 16