TULSA, Okla. — Justin Hurtt scored a career-high 36 points as Tulsa snapped a three-game losing streak by edging Weber State 81-79 in overtime on Thursday night.
Damian Lillard, Weber State's leading scorer going into the game, scored just five points in 21 minutes before leaving with a foot injury in the second half.
Steven Idlet added 14, including a jumper with 35 seconds left that gave the Golden Hurricane (5-5) a 74-70 lead. Hurtt went 10 for 10 on free throws in overtime to keep the Wildcats (5-4) at bay.Lindsey Hughey led Weber State with 20 points, including three 3-pointers in the final 12 seconds. Trevor Morris added 15 points and Byron Fulton 11.
Weber State led 58-50 on a jumper by Morris with 7:50 left in regulation, but Hurtt led Tulsa back.
A jumper by Hurtt gave the Hurricane its first lead of the second half at 59-58 and another by Tim Peete made it 61-58.
Weber State's B.J. Porter, playing his first game in a Wildcat uniform, tied it with a 3-pointer with 3:37 to go in the half and each team made just one basket the rest of the way.
Weber State jumped out to a 12-2 lead in the first six minutes. Tulsa spent the rest of the half chipping away at the deficit, finally taking its first lead on a drive by Bryson Pope to make it 28-27 with 1:15 left in the half.
A 3-pointer with a second left by Hughey gave WSU at 31-28 advantage at the break.
Hurtt, whose previous career high was 34 points against East Carolina last year, finished shooting 10 for 25 from the field.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19