TULSA, Okla. — Justin Hurtt scored a career-high 36 points as Tulsa snapped a three-game losing streak by edging Weber State 81-79 in overtime on Thursday night.
Damian Lillard, Weber State's leading scorer going into the game, scored just five points in 21 minutes before leaving with a foot injury in the second half.
Steven Idlet added 14, including a jumper with 35 seconds left that gave the Golden Hurricane (5-5) a 74-70 lead. Hurtt went 10 for 10 on free throws in overtime to keep the Wildcats (5-4) at bay.Lindsey Hughey led Weber State with 20 points, including three 3-pointers in the final 12 seconds. Trevor Morris added 15 points and Byron Fulton 11.
Weber State led 58-50 on a jumper by Morris with 7:50 left in regulation, but Hurtt led Tulsa back.
A jumper by Hurtt gave the Hurricane its first lead of the second half at 59-58 and another by Tim Peete made it 61-58.
Weber State's B.J. Porter, playing his first game in a Wildcat uniform, tied it with a 3-pointer with 3:37 to go in the half and each team made just one basket the rest of the way.
Weber State jumped out to a 12-2 lead in the first six minutes. Tulsa spent the rest of the half chipping away at the deficit, finally taking its first lead on a drive by Bryson Pope to make it 28-27 with 1:15 left in the half.
A 3-pointer with a second left by Hughey gave WSU at 31-28 advantage at the break.
Hurtt, whose previous career high was 34 points against East Carolina last year, finished shooting 10 for 25 from the field.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13