What lame excuses from our Sens. Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett and our Reps. Jim Matheson, Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz in planning to vote, or having voted, against the DREAM Act, which would give a way for children of some undocumented immigrants a road to citizenship if they serve in the military or go to college. Hatch, Bennett and Matheson were former co-sponsors of a very similar measure. The contrast in pandering to their constituent voters (think 2012) at the expense of serving the needs of a relatively small group who won't make much of a ballot difference is obvious. As a child/adolescent advocate, I can't see that the act hurts or penalizes anyone. Many thousands of children should not be forced to place their dreams on hold after already investing in their education. It makes no sense that the system would then prevent these students from putting their talents to use.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 37
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 29
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- Letter: Acting presidential 25
- My view: More whites should practice... 23