What lame excuses from our Sens. Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett and our Reps. Jim Matheson, Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz in planning to vote, or having voted, against the DREAM Act, which would give a way for children of some undocumented immigrants a road to citizenship if they serve in the military or go to college. Hatch, Bennett and Matheson were former co-sponsors of a very similar measure. The contrast in pandering to their constituent voters (think 2012) at the expense of serving the needs of a relatively small group who won't make much of a ballot difference is obvious. As a child/adolescent advocate, I can't see that the act hurts or penalizes anyone. Many thousands of children should not be forced to place their dreams on hold after already investing in their education. It makes no sense that the system would then prevent these students from putting their talents to use.
Salt Lake City
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot 'progress'...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- Letter: Moral decline
- Letter: My sons
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Jay Evensen: U2's 'free' album highlights...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Who likes Obama's ISIS plan, and who doesn't
- Letter: Moral decline 87
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 65
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 55
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28
- In our opinion: Revisiting racial... 25