Weber State will try to add to its three-game winning streak when it plays at Tulsa tonight.
It won't be a monumental task to defeat the Golden Hurricane. Tulsa, a member of Conference USA, has lost three times at home this season and is 4-5 overall. The Wildcats, meanwhile, are coming off of victories over Drake, Seattle and Southern Utah and had different players step up with meaningful performances in those wins.
Darin Mahoney was the latest Wildcat to provide a big contribution. He was named the Big Sky's Player of the Week for scoring a career-high 19 points in Weber State's 77-71 win over Southern Utah on Saturday. He also had eight rebounds and three steals while playing a career-high 35 minutes.
Center Trevor Morris scored a career-high 16 points against Seattle. Scott Bamforth had 22 points against Drake and made a clutch 3-pointer against Seattle. Bamforth, however, aggravated a shoulder injury he suffered before the season started and is questionable for tonight's game.
Of course, the player who is making everything go for the Wildcats is guard Damian Lillard. He is averaging 21.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game. Entering Wednesday's games, Lillard was ranked No. 24 in the nation in scoring.
Weber State should also soon get a boost from B.J. Porter, a former 1A state MVP who started his career at Portland University. After transferring from the Pilots' program, he was eligible to play against Southern Utah on Saturday but did not enter the game.
Tulsa is led by guard Justin Hurtt, who averages 18 points per game and was a Conference USA preseason first-team pick. Three other players — Steve Idlet (13.8), Scottie Haralson (12.6) and Jordan Clarkson (12.3) — average double-figures scoring for the Golden Hurricane.
After tonight, the Wildcats play their next two games in the Dee Events Center. They host the University of the Southwest on Saturday and BYU on Tuesday.
Wildcats on the air
Weber State (5-3) at Tulsa (4-5)
Tonight, 6:05 p.m. (MST)
Reynolds Center, Tulsa, Okla.
Radio: 1430 AM
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20