MEN'S BASKETBALL: The Westminster College men's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 6 in the second regular-season edition of the 2010-11 NAIA Division I Men's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll, the NAIA announced Monday.
Westminster received 254 points in the poll to rank in the top 10 for the sixth time in the last seven polls dating back to last season.
Westminster has started the year 10-0 for just the second time in school history. They are one of nine undefeated teams left in the NAIA D-I. The No. 6 ranking is the highest of the season and they have now been ranked in the top 10 a total of 22 times since the end of the 2004-05 season.
Westminster will put its No. 6 ranking on the line on Saturday, Dec. 18, when it visits Point Loma Nazarene before a Dec. 20 game against 10th-ranked Azusa Pacific.
With 310 total points, Robert Morris (Ill.) boasts the No. 1 ranking in this week's poll. The Eagles tallied nine of the possible 12 first-place votes this week and are the top-ranked team for the second straight week. Robert Morris, one of nine undefeated programs in Division I, has sprinted out to a 10-0 start.
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: The Westminster women's basketball team dropped one spot to No. 11 in the NAIA Women's Division I Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll, the NAIA announced Monday.
Westminster received 210 points in the poll and switched places in the poll with Bethel University. The Griffins have now been inside the top 25 in 11 consecutive polls dating back to last season.
Westminster is 12-2 on the season and has won 11 of 12 since starting the year 1-1. The Griffins dropped two exhibition games against NCAA Division I teams Utah and Wyoming last week. The Griffins will return to action on Dec. 29 agaiinst Westmont in Santa Barbara, Calif.
For the 39th consecutive week, Union (Tenn.) is ranked No. 1. The Lady Bulldogs were awarded all 12 possible first-place votes in the second edition of the poll.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13