Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The trial of Elizabeth Smart kidnapper Brian David Mitchell, which ended with a guilty verdict last week, was the news story of the year in Utah, right?
Well, maybe not.
The Deseret News and KSL are asking readers and viewers to rank the top Utah stories of the year. Simply visit the online tool and make your own selections. Then, later this month, check deseretnews.com, the Deseret News, KSL and ksl.com to see how you and your fellow readers voted.
Casting votes will not be easy, as it was a year of triumph and tragedy in Utah news.
For example, in addition to the Mitchell verdict, among the possible stories of the year are:
Scandal rocked the Utah Legislature. Before the session began, Senate President Sheldon Killpack was arrested on suspicion of DUI and later resigned. At the end of the session, Utah House Majority Leader Kevin Garn resigned after acknowledging he paid a woman to keep quiet about a nude hot-tubbing incident 25 years ago.
Rogue Department of Workforce Services employees compiled a list of more than 1,300 supposed illegal immigrants and sent it to media and law enforcement.
America's tea party movement rolled through Utah, and Sen. Bob Bennett became the first incumbent to fall victim to a growing anti-Washington sentiment.
Letters revealed the state of Utah paid out a $13 million settlement to one of the unsuccessful bidders for a record $1.7 billion Utah County road contract.
Oil spilled from a Chevron pipeline near Red Butte Creek — twice. In June, 800 barrels flowed into Salt Lake City waterway. And in December, a failed valve on the same line leaked between 350 and 500 barrels of oil.
A fast-moving fire started by Utah National Guard gun training burned thousands of acres, destroyed three homes and forced hundreds of evacuations in Herriman.
Schools were plagued with budget cuts and layoffs in the first full year after the Jordan District split.
Vote now, and remember to check back later this month for the results and a roundup on the stories of the year.
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Roosevelt officer justified in shooting death...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 95
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 53
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 36
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12