CEDAR CITY — Damian Lillard scored 22 points and pulled down six rebounds to lead Weber State past Southern Utah 77-71 on Saturday night.
Darin Mahoney added 19 points and eight rebounds for the Wildcats (5-3), who won the battle of the boards 35-25 over the Thunderbirds (2-7).
Ryan Brimley had 18 points and Ray Jones Jr. had 16 for Southern Utah, which fell behind by as many as 11 points late in the game.
Byron Fulton scored 14 points and Kyle Bullinger 10 for Weber State. Bullinger also had eight rebounds.
The Wildcats close the first half on a 12-4 run to lead 34-31 at halftime.
SUU got close in the second half at 48-46 when Jake Nielsen had a steal and layup. The Thunderbirds hung around for much of the second half until Weber State went up 64-58 with 5:55 remaining.
The Wildcats next play at Tulsa on Thursday before hosting University of the Southwest on Saturday.
Next up for the Thunderbirds is a Tuesday night home matchup against Oklahoma Panhandle State University.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7