CEDAR CITY — Damian Lillard scored 22 points and pulled down six rebounds to lead Weber State past Southern Utah 77-71 on Saturday night.
Darin Mahoney added 19 points and eight rebounds for the Wildcats (5-3), who won the battle of the boards 35-25 over the Thunderbirds (2-7).
Ryan Brimley had 18 points and Ray Jones Jr. had 16 for Southern Utah, which fell behind by as many as 11 points late in the game.
Byron Fulton scored 14 points and Kyle Bullinger 10 for Weber State. Bullinger also had eight rebounds.
The Wildcats close the first half on a 12-4 run to lead 34-31 at halftime.
SUU got close in the second half at 48-46 when Jake Nielsen had a steal and layup. The Thunderbirds hung around for much of the second half until Weber State went up 64-58 with 5:55 remaining.
The Wildcats next play at Tulsa on Thursday before hosting University of the Southwest on Saturday.
Next up for the Thunderbirds is a Tuesday night home matchup against Oklahoma Panhandle State University.
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 119
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 46
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 19
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14