CEDAR CITY — Damian Lillard scored 22 points and pulled down six rebounds to lead Weber State past Southern Utah 77-71 on Saturday night.
Darin Mahoney added 19 points and eight rebounds for the Wildcats (5-3), who won the battle of the boards 35-25 over the Thunderbirds (2-7).
Ryan Brimley had 18 points and Ray Jones Jr. had 16 for Southern Utah, which fell behind by as many as 11 points late in the game.
Byron Fulton scored 14 points and Kyle Bullinger 10 for Weber State. Bullinger also had eight rebounds.
The Wildcats close the first half on a 12-4 run to lead 34-31 at halftime.
SUU got close in the second half at 48-46 when Jake Nielsen had a steal and layup. The Thunderbirds hung around for much of the second half until Weber State went up 64-58 with 5:55 remaining.
The Wildcats next play at Tulsa on Thursday before hosting University of the Southwest on Saturday.
Next up for the Thunderbirds is a Tuesday night home matchup against Oklahoma Panhandle State University.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24