CEDAR CITY — Damian Lillard scored 22 points and pulled down six rebounds to lead Weber State past Southern Utah 77-71 on Saturday night.
Darin Mahoney added 19 points and eight rebounds for the Wildcats (5-3), who won the battle of the boards 35-25 over the Thunderbirds (2-7).
Ryan Brimley had 18 points and Ray Jones Jr. had 16 for Southern Utah, which fell behind by as many as 11 points late in the game.
Byron Fulton scored 14 points and Kyle Bullinger 10 for Weber State. Bullinger also had eight rebounds.
The Wildcats close the first half on a 12-4 run to lead 34-31 at halftime.
SUU got close in the second half at 48-46 when Jake Nielsen had a steal and layup. The Thunderbirds hung around for much of the second half until Weber State went up 64-58 with 5:55 remaining.
The Wildcats next play at Tulsa on Thursday before hosting University of the Southwest on Saturday.
Next up for the Thunderbirds is a Tuesday night home matchup against Oklahoma Panhandle State University.
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in the...
- BYU football: D-line returned missionaries...
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- Brad Rock: Arizona wipeout not a killer for Utes
- BYU basketball: Prior to Gonzaga loss,...
- High school baseball: 4A team-by-team region...
- Returned Mormon missionary chasing big league...
- Utah State basketball: Aggies blitzed by No....
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 113
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 71
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 57
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32