CINCINNATI — Utah Valley University fell at unbeaten Cincinnati of the Big East Conference, 92-72, on Saturday in front of 5,054 fans at Fifth Third Arena.
The Bearcats (8-0) came out of the gates firing on all cylinders, hitting nine of their first 12 shots including 3-of-4 from beyond the arc to build an early lead.
The Wolverines (4-5) responded with some hot shooting of their own to remain within striking distance, but the early deficit was too much to overcome.
"We kept competing, kept fighting and made a run but they (the Bearcats) were too big, too long and too athletic and they shot the ball extremely well," said UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker.
UVU had four players in double figures led by 14 points and nine rebounds from Ben Aird. Isiah Williams and Justin Baker each finished with 12, Holton Hunsaker added 11 and Geddes Robinson scored 10 more.
Five players reached double figures for Cincinnati, with Rashad Bishop scoring all 17 of his points in the first half to lead the way.
The Wolverines will return home next Saturday, Dec. 18, to host Utah State at 7 p.m. in the UCCU Center.
DIXIE STATE 73, MONTANA STATE-BILLINGS 69 (OT): At Billings, Mont., Dixie State held a 14-point lead with 15:50 remaining in the second half, but the Red Storm had to withstand a fierce comeback by Montana State-Billings to pull out an overtime victory.
In the end, the Red Storm defense held the Yellowjackets without a field goal in the extra five-minute period.
Dixie State (7-3) won its third straight game in the closest battle of the non-conference season. MSU-Billings dropped to 1-6 with its fifth consecutive loss.
Tom Whitehead led all scorers with 18 points while Griffon Jones and Solomon Jensen each had 11. Jeremiah Barnes had 10 to close out four Storm players in double figures.
The overtime victory was the first since December 15, 2008 when Dixie State beat Western Washington in double overtime 86-84 at the Burns Arena.
The Red Storm will take a three-week break for finals and the holidays. They return to action at home on Jan. 8 to open Pacific West Conference play against Grand Canyon.
Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. in the Burns Arena.
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Yeomans: What does it mean for Jimmer...
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- Bartley, Neilson leaving BYU's basketball team
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 56
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 21
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 16
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe... 11