Dick Harmon: Hunter grateful he had chance to play for Cougars
"Using his personality and instilling it in us, he made us feel like we are going to go out there and we are going to give everything we have every single play and we are not going to quit," Hunter said. "That is what he brought to practice, and it showed on Saturdays. I thought we had a good defense at the first of the season, but we didn't play like we did at the end."
A one-year starter at middle "mike" linebacker, Hunter says BYU has plenty of talent next year in his absence as a one-and-done guy.
"You've got Zack Stout, (USC transfer) Uona Kaveinga and Iona Pritchard due off his mission. They will be solid," Hunter said.
It's been a long time (2002) since Hunter finished his high school career at Idaho Falls High as the 5A defensive player of the year and mulled an offer from Boise State to walk on there. He didn't have a lot of options. He did have some offers from Division II and III schools, even after he finished playing at Snow with some high school buddies. It is at that point he felt strongly he should apply to attend BYU and he sought out the staff to walk on.
But with an LDS mission to North Carolina behind him and a decision to walk on at BYU now paying its final dividends, Hunter is grateful for the ride.
He is married to the former Carrie Draper and is finishing a degree in exercise science.
"I feel it is a great opportunity to be here. I've really grown as a person; it's been awesome," he said. "I love playing football and contributing to the team. It's a bigger responsibility than I had last year on special teams. It's been a dream come true and a lot of fun."
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 111
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 71
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 47
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45