The Redskins have decided they are a better team without their $100 million defensive tackle, Albert Haynesworth, than with him. This week, the Redskins suspended Haynesworth without pay for the final four games of the season. It's doubtful he will be back in 2011.
So what did the Redskins get for their $100 million? Twelve starts in 28 games, 53 tackles, 6 1/2 sacks and six passes batted down at the line of scrimmage. The Redskins finished 10th in the NFL in defense last season but are 32nd this year.
If Houston's Arian Foster wins the rushing title — he has 1,230 yards, with Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew next at 1,177 — he will be only the second undrafted free agent to do it since 1967, when the common draft between the AFL and NFL was adopted.
Priest Holmes did it in 2001 with 1,555 yards rushing.
Foster is in his second season after playing college ball at Tennessee. He was on the Texans' practice squad for much of last season before getting a chance to play near the end of the year.
By the yard
Through 13 weeks and 192 games, NFL teams are averaging 679.2 yards per game. If that pace continues it would be the highest average in league history.
Last year, the average yards per game came in at 670.3. That was the most since 1981 (669).
Also at a record pace: yards passing per game. The record is 441.6 set in 1995; currently, teams are averaging 453 yards in the air.
There also have been 570 touchdown passes thus far in 2010, the most through 13 weeks.
Rookie to start
Arizona rookie quarterback John Skelton will get his first NFL start when the Cardinals play the Broncos today.
Skelton was considered the probable choice after Derek Anderson was sidelined with a concussion. The only other healthy quarterback is Richard Bartel, who was signed this week.
Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, who made the announcement on Friday, said he hopes Anderson will be able to be the emergency third quarterback.
Arizona has lost seven in a row going into today's game against the Broncos.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33