AUSTIN, Texas — Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is leaving the Longhorns to be the head coach at Florida.
Muschamp succeeds Urban Meyer, who won two national championships in six seasons with the Gators but resigned Wednesday after a 7-5 season.
The 39-year-old Muschamp spent three seasons at Texas, where he was the head-coach-in-waiting to succeed Mack Brown.
Muschamp, who once lived in Gainesville as a child, says taking over the Florida program is a "dream come true."
Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley says in a statement that Muschamp is the "only person we met with and the only person we offered the job to."
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 23
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22