Utah Jazz: Rookie Gordon Hayward starts again as team looks to win at Dallas
DALLAS — After not even playing in two consecutive games, rookie Gordon Hayward will make his second straight start for the Utah Jazz tonight against the Dallas Mavericks.
Hayward will again fill in as the Jazz's starting shooting guard for the injured Raja Bell, who has been ruled out with a strained right adductor.
Center Kyrylo Fesenko will miss his third straight game with a sprained left ankle, leaving the Jazz with only 10 healthy players on the roster against the deep Mavericks.
Both Bell and Fesenko traveled with the Jazz and received treatment for their injuries.
The 17-7 Jazz are looking at avenge a 93-81 loss against Dallas, which happened eight days ago in Salt Lake City. Utah was held to one of its worst shooting nights of the season, hitting only 39.2 percent from the field as a team at EnergySolutions Arena.
That will be a tough task considering Dallas is 18-4 and riding an 11-game winning streak.
"I thought they were really good defensively, whether it was a man-to-man or a zone," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "We had a tough time playing against them when they were in a zone. We couldn't make any shots. If you can't make some shots against them, it makes it difficult."
Asked if the Jazz will do anything differently tonight strategy-wise, Sloan responded: "We hope we shoot better."
Utah returns home Monday for a rematch with Golden State before embarking on its annual pre-Christmas road trip later in the week.
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- Dick Harmon: Unique perspectives from new...
- 5A state swimming: Sky View girls surprise...
- Former BYU, Davis High runner Jared Ward...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38