El Paso Times, Ruben R Ramirez, Associated Press
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Brian Kelly quickly got his team's attention when he arrived on campus a year ago. And now one day after the anniversary of his hiring, he's tuning the Irish up for a Sun Bowl date with Miami on New Year's Eve.
Selling points for victory are easy for Kelly: 8-5 sounds a lot better than 7-5 and Notre Dame is playing the school that was its fiercest rival in the 1980s. A win will boost confidence heading into next season, send the seniors out on a winning note and help with recruiting.
The most difficult part is staying sharp during a long layoff between the regular-season finale and a bowl game that is still nearly three weeks off.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45