El Paso Times, Ruben R Ramirez, Associated Press
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Brian Kelly quickly got his team's attention when he arrived on campus a year ago. And now one day after the anniversary of his hiring, he's tuning the Irish up for a Sun Bowl date with Miami on New Year's Eve.
Selling points for victory are easy for Kelly: 8-5 sounds a lot better than 7-5 and Notre Dame is playing the school that was its fiercest rival in the 1980s. A win will boost confidence heading into next season, send the seniors out on a winning note and help with recruiting.
The most difficult part is staying sharp during a long layoff between the regular-season finale and a bowl game that is still nearly three weeks off.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15