David Runk, Associated Press
DETROIT — A 20-year-old Burger King employee who was arguing with a customer in a crowded fast food restaurant punched the 67-year-old man, who fell and later died, police said Friday.
The punch may have caused the older man to choke on his dentures, WJBK-TV reported.
Police said the customer was reportedly causing a disturbance Thursday afternoon at the restaurant on the city's east side and tried to hit the worker, who swung back.
"A verbal argument occurred," police Sgt. Eren Stephens told The Associated Press. "It escalated into a physical altercation."
Jerome Perdu, 59, of Detroit, works as a security guard nearby and said he was at the restaurant at the time. He said he didn't see the customer get hit, but watched as paramedics tried to revive him. The restaurant was crowded at the time, he said.
"I just seen him lying on the floor," Perdu said. "EMS was pumping him."
The man was taken to a hospital, where he later died. An autopsy expected to be conducted Friday was to determine the cause of death.
The employee was being held Friday and could face criminal charges. Stephens said that once the investigation is complete, the details will be submitted to the Wayne County prosecutor's office for review.
Around midday Friday, a sign on the restaurant's door indicated that only the drive-thru was open, and a steady stream of customers pulled into the parking lot. A manager who opened the locked door said any comment would come from the fast food company.
Denise Wilson, a spokeswoman for Miami-based Burger King, said Friday that company officials were aware of the incident and the franchise owner was cooperating with police.
Associated Press writer David Aguilar contributed to this report.
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- Obama OKs federal aid for West Virginia; at...
- At least 14 killed in Somalia hotel attack;...
- In need of help, Trump finds few willing to...
- Behind the support for Brexit and Trump:...
- Officials: California wildfire destroys 200...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Trump camp scrambles to shape up before GOP...
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 52
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 40
- Did Trump really just become a... 37
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26