SALT LAKE CITY — One of the state's top technology firms will increase its presence in Utah County over the next 12 months. Online retailer Overstock.com announced Thursday that the company will open a software development center in Provo early next year.
The new facility will add 150 new jobs to the 1,500 the company already employs in the Beehive State.
Headquartered in Salt Lake City, the company was founded in 1999 and is a leading online merchandise retailer.
"The new jobs that Overstock.com is creating will significantly add to Utah's vibrant software and (information technology) development industrial cluster," said Spencer Eccles, executive director of the Governor's Office of Economic Development.
The GOED Board authorized a 10-year post-performance refundable tax credit of up to $1,123,600. During the life of the incentive, the state estimates the company will pay more than $4.4 million in new tax revenue.
Of the 150 new positions, 100 will be brought onboard within the next 12 months. Interested applicants should apply online at www.overstock.com/javajobs.
"We have more innovation in the pipeline than we have develops," said Overstock.com President Jonathan Johnson. "We're really looking for developers that speak Java."
According to Sam Peterson, senior vice president of technology for Overstock.com, mobile (technology) is becoming a huge presence (and the company's) international business is growing rapidly.
"There is a lot more that this can morph into that the Internet is doing," he said.
"As our business grows, we've noticed that the thing that's keeping us from growing more right now is all of the ideas that we need technologists to build," said Johnson. "We've got a lot of fertile minds at the company and we're looking for ways to improve."
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 16
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15