Lindsey Vonn, Julia Mancuso insist rivalry robust, not resentful
Vonn's offseason was just as adventurous. She shot commercials for sponsors such as Under Armour, was picked for Maxim's "Hot 100" list and filmed a scene for her favorite show, "Law & Order."
She also took part in a photo shoot for ESPN The Magazine, appearing on the cover as she re-enacted a Sharon Stone scene from "Basic Instinct."
"I feel like for me personally I'm the same person. My life has just gotten busier. That's all," Vonn said. "It hasn't changed who I am, my goals, or anything like that."
On the slopes, Mancuso and Vonn have been just as busy.
Mancuso spent quite a bit of time in the Southern Hemisphere, filming for various projects and ramping up her training.
"I feel really good," Mancuso said. "In the last four years, I learned a lesson about taking care of my body and making different choices and changing priorities on the most important things for my skiing. To have gotten the medals in the Olympics and looking forward to the next Olympics, I feel like things can only get better."
Despite winning a third straight overall World Cup title last winter, Vonn overhauled her training and her diet.
Vonn incorporated 400-meter sprints into her workout regimen over the summer to enhance her explosion in the slalom and giant slalom. She figured the only way to maintain an advantage on her best friend and fierce rival Maria Riesch of Germany was to improve at the events Vonn's struggled with most — the technical ones.
She also revamped her diet, basically eliminating rices, pastas, breads and dairy products.
"It's definitely a big change for me," Vonn said. "But I always look back and say, 'What can I improve upon?' I've always eaten healthy but I never had a strict diet. Now I'm taking my diet to a whole new level. I feel like it's working well for me so far. We'll see how it goes this season."
As for any friction with Vonn, Mancuso quickly quashed it Friday after a free ski session on the hill.
"There is no animosity," Mancuso said bluntly.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Kyle Collinsworth already...
- BYU football: Cougars generally happy with...
- How will NCAA selection committee evaluate...
- Linebacker Kyle Van Noy says he discovered...
- Snakebit BYU must deal once again with major...
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars score straight...
- Utah Valley's NCAA hopes dashed with loss to...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 113
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 58
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30