High school basketball: Bonneville gets redemption by getting by Olympus
HOLLADAY — After a blow out loss to Morgan last Saturday, the Bonneville Lady Lakers came out looking for redemption Tuesday evening.
The Lakers got off to a great start and controlled the tempo for the entire game beating the Olympus Titans 37-23.
"The energy we brought came off a hard loss to Morgan. We really wanted to come back and establish who we are," said the Bonneville coach Mike Russell. "We changed our lineup for the first time this season bringing Bailey Freeland, and Abby Toller off the bench. Bailey brought a huge spark for us."
The Lakers set the tone the entire game with energy and contributions from each player. Meagan Tanner led all scorers with 10 points, Valerie Buckway had seven and both McKinlee Westmoreland and Abby Toller each had six.
Arial Meredith led Olympus with great effort and scoring nine of the Titans 23 points.
Defense was a big factor in the Lakers' victory.
"Our defense creates a lot of our offense for us," said senior Valerie Buckway. "We all came out really hard with nothing to lose."
Buckway also hit two key 3-pointers in the third quarter. Bonneville's half-court press brought them a lot of success, creating a difficult time for the Olympus guards and forcing turnovers.
"McKinley gets her hands on a lot of balls and is one of our best defensive players," said Russell. "She played very well for us."
Bonneville hopes to improve their 3-2 record as they take on Ogden Dec. 17th.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30