I am extremely disappointed the Deseret News chose to print the piece from the Los Angeles Times by Sharon Davies titled "When America Feared and Reviled Catholics" (Dec. 3, page E1). The whole premise of the piece is that Americans' current fear of Islam is similar to America's past fear of Catholicism. What a farce!
I am not a professor of law, history, or anything else, but I'm pretty sure that in the 1920s there was no Catholic equivalent of the 1993 WTC bombing, the USS Cole, 9/11, the Christmas bomber, the Times Square bomber, Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda, the Taliban or jihad. I am not saying Americans should discriminate against Muslims. But I am saying that I don't appreciate Davies' attempt to downplay Americans' legitimate concern about a religion that has many adherents who have openly declared war on our country and citizens. Radical Islam is a major problem in the world today, and to imply that it is anything less is irresponsible.
- In our opinion: Declaration of Independence...
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- My view: Everything you think you know about...
- Letter: Patriotism has not died
- Letter: The Fourth
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- President Boyd K. Packer — 'defender'...
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the...
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 31
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 26
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21