I am extremely disappointed the Deseret News chose to print the piece from the Los Angeles Times by Sharon Davies titled "When America Feared and Reviled Catholics" (Dec. 3, page E1). The whole premise of the piece is that Americans' current fear of Islam is similar to America's past fear of Catholicism. What a farce!
I am not a professor of law, history, or anything else, but I'm pretty sure that in the 1920s there was no Catholic equivalent of the 1993 WTC bombing, the USS Cole, 9/11, the Christmas bomber, the Times Square bomber, Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda, the Taliban or jihad. I am not saying Americans should discriminate against Muslims. But I am saying that I don't appreciate Davies' attempt to downplay Americans' legitimate concern about a religion that has many adherents who have openly declared war on our country and citizens. Radical Islam is a major problem in the world today, and to imply that it is anything less is irresponsible.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on Mexican...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Letter: More Lehi gridlock?
- Letter: Draper real estate
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 78
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 65
- Letter: Human body 41
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 34
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 32
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 26
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 18