NEW YORK — "American Idol" contestant Brooke White is following in the footsteps of Jennifer Hudson.
The 27-year-old White recently made the leap into acting. She will star in an upcoming TV movie called "Change of Plans" with no professional acting experience.
Fellow "Idol" alum Hudson had no acting experience when she was cast in the movie "Dreamgirls." She won an Oscar for her performance.
White will play the lead role of a singer/songwriter who becomes guardian of her best friend's four children after an accident.
The movie also stars Phylicia Rashad and has a cameo appearance by "Idol" judge Randy Jackson. He also serves as executive producer on the film's soundtrack, which features three songs by White.
White placed fifth on the seventh season of "Idol."
"Change of Plans" premieres Jan. 8 at 8/7c on Fox.
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as Pentagon...
- Reports: Ferguson grand jury has reached...
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell' in 2016
- Evacuation plans readied as Buffalo flooding...
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' opens with $123 million
- Buffalo residents ready melt, possible...
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 40
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 25
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 17
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14