NEW YORK — "American Idol" contestant Brooke White is following in the footsteps of Jennifer Hudson.
The 27-year-old White recently made the leap into acting. She will star in an upcoming TV movie called "Change of Plans" with no professional acting experience.
Fellow "Idol" alum Hudson had no acting experience when she was cast in the movie "Dreamgirls." She won an Oscar for her performance.
White will play the lead role of a singer/songwriter who becomes guardian of her best friend's four children after an accident.
The movie also stars Phylicia Rashad and has a cameo appearance by "Idol" judge Randy Jackson. He also serves as executive producer on the film's soundtrack, which features three songs by White.
White placed fifth on the seventh season of "Idol."
"Change of Plans" premieres Jan. 8 at 8/7c on Fox.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- No gray area: Beliefs shape firm, disparate...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- AP Analysis: Putin digs in for long Ukraine...
- Study claims cave art made by Neanderthals
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 22
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 17
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 10