The Cougars really took control of the game for good with defense, holding Hawaii to only two baskets during an eight-minute span midway through the second half. The Rainbows shot only 30 percent on the day and were only 1 of 13 from 3-point range. Prior to Saturday they were shooting more than 50 percent from the floor.
"We did a good job tonight of making them take tough shots," Magnusson said.
"We couldn't hit shots so we never got into the flow offensively," Hawaii coach Gib Arnold said. "But give credit to BYU. They're really hard to match-up with because they've got five guys out there who can score and they play really well together."
Playing a little thin on the front line, the Cougars were outrebounded by Hawaii 43-33.
"We got a lot of good execution defensively but we didn't finish the possession with a rebound and that caused us not to be able to get out in transition like we like to go," Rose said.
GAME NOTES: The sprained ankle suffered by forward Chris Collinsworth is more severe than originally diagnosed, and the sophomore likely won't see action again before Christmas. ... Of Hartsock's team-high seven rebounds, six came in the first eight minutes ... For the first time this season Fredette failed to make a 3-point shot. ... The Cougars leave for New York on Monday to play Vermont at the Glens Falls Civic Center on Wednesday, and return to Utah for another game next Saturday at EnergySolutions against Arizona ... Attendance was 13,312.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 123
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 76
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 52
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33