The Cougars really took control of the game for good with defense, holding Hawaii to only two baskets during an eight-minute span midway through the second half. The Rainbows shot only 30 percent on the day and were only 1 of 13 from 3-point range. Prior to Saturday they were shooting more than 50 percent from the floor.
"We did a good job tonight of making them take tough shots," Magnusson said.
"We couldn't hit shots so we never got into the flow offensively," Hawaii coach Gib Arnold said. "But give credit to BYU. They're really hard to match-up with because they've got five guys out there who can score and they play really well together."
Playing a little thin on the front line, the Cougars were outrebounded by Hawaii 43-33.
"We got a lot of good execution defensively but we didn't finish the possession with a rebound and that caused us not to be able to get out in transition like we like to go," Rose said.
GAME NOTES: The sprained ankle suffered by forward Chris Collinsworth is more severe than originally diagnosed, and the sophomore likely won't see action again before Christmas. ... Of Hartsock's team-high seven rebounds, six came in the first eight minutes ... For the first time this season Fredette failed to make a 3-point shot. ... The Cougars leave for New York on Monday to play Vermont at the Glens Falls Civic Center on Wednesday, and return to Utah for another game next Saturday at EnergySolutions against Arizona ... Attendance was 13,312.
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 63
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 23
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22