The Cougars really took control of the game for good with defense, holding Hawaii to only two baskets during an eight-minute span midway through the second half. The Rainbows shot only 30 percent on the day and were only 1 of 13 from 3-point range. Prior to Saturday they were shooting more than 50 percent from the floor.
"We did a good job tonight of making them take tough shots," Magnusson said.
"We couldn't hit shots so we never got into the flow offensively," Hawaii coach Gib Arnold said. "But give credit to BYU. They're really hard to match-up with because they've got five guys out there who can score and they play really well together."
Playing a little thin on the front line, the Cougars were outrebounded by Hawaii 43-33.
"We got a lot of good execution defensively but we didn't finish the possession with a rebound and that caused us not to be able to get out in transition like we like to go," Rose said.
GAME NOTES: The sprained ankle suffered by forward Chris Collinsworth is more severe than originally diagnosed, and the sophomore likely won't see action again before Christmas. ... Of Hartsock's team-high seven rebounds, six came in the first eight minutes ... For the first time this season Fredette failed to make a 3-point shot. ... The Cougars leave for New York on Monday to play Vermont at the Glens Falls Civic Center on Wednesday, and return to Utah for another game next Saturday at EnergySolutions against Arizona ... Attendance was 13,312.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45