Cain, who started twice when Wynn was sidelined with a thumb injury earlier in the season, appeared in nine games. He completed 51-of-72 passes for 610 yards and six touchdowns. The only two interceptions Cain threw this season came in last week's 17-16 win over BYU.
Redshirt freshman Griff Robles is now the backup. He has seen very limited action this season. He made appearances in just four games and failed to complete the only pass he attempted. Robles, however, is fourth on the team in rushing with 124 yards on 17 carries.
Wynn, meanwhile, wasn't allowed to speak with reporters after practice. The 2009 Poinsettia Bowl Offensive MVP left the field with his throwing arm in a sling.
"Jordan's upbeat. He's not hanging his head. He's not feeling sorry for himself," Whittingham said. "It's football. The unfortunate part about football is the injury factor. We've just got to get it fixed. He's got to rehab just like so many other guys have to do."
Earlier in week, Wynn didn't suggest he had any problems that might keep him out of the game.
"I'm fine. I feel good," Wynn said. "I'm ready for the bowl game."
Wynn, who will be sidelined until May and is expected to miss all of spring ball, played in 10 games this season — completing 186-of-299 passes for 2,334 yards and 17 touchdowns. He was intercepted 10 times.
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50