OGDEN — After playing three games in Alaska last week — and winning two of them — the Weber State men's basketball team returns home for a rare non-conference game in the Dee Events Center today.
The Wildcats host Seattle University, an independent team currently reclassifying into Division I, at 2 p.m. It is one of only four non-conference home games for Weber State this season.
The Wildcats have had enough time to recover after playing Alaska-Anchorage, Arizona State and Drake in back-to-back-to-back nights in the Great Alaska Shootout.
The Redhawks, coached by former UCLA standout Cameron Dollar, are in the midst of a difficult portion of their schedule. They're playing their fourth game in their fourth state in eight days. Seattle is 3-7, but has a couple of quality wins over Oregon State and the Big Sky's Montana State. In the past eight days, they've played in California (against UC Davis), Washington (at home against Montana State) and in Oregon at Portland State.
Seattle has four players who average double-figures scoring. Aaron Broussard leads the team in scoring at 14.5 points per game. Sterling Carter averages 14.2 ppg, Cervante Burrell scores 12.3 ppg, and Alex Jones averages 10.2 ppg.
Weber State, of course, is led by Damian Lillard. In Alaska, Lillard scored just 11 points against Alaska-Anchorage and 12 against Arizona State before pouring in 31 against Drake.
Newcomer Scott Bamforth is starting to come on strong for the Wildcats. He scored a career-high 22 points against Drake. He shot 14-for-22 from the field, including 11-for-17 from 3-point range, in the three games in Alaska.
After today's game, the Wildcats won't play again until they face Southern Utah in Cedar City next Saturday.
Wildcats on the air
Seattle U. (3-7) at Weber State (3-3)
Today, 2 p.m.
Dee Events Center
TV: none Radio: 1430 AM
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 60
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43