SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — U.S. Rep. Jim Matheson of Utah has been appointed to the Democratic whip team.
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland made the appointment Thursday.
Matheson will be responsible for helping Democrats count expected votes in the upcoming session. He'll also have the ear of party leaders.
Matheson is a moderate and leader of the fiscally conservative Blue Dog caucus. He won a sixth term in November in a Republican-leaning district by about 5 percentage points.
Stoyer says Matheson's moderate perspective is reflective of Americans' desire for Democrats to find common ground.
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on GOP to...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 18
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 18
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 13
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11
- Sen. Mike Lee pushing for vote on USA... 9