SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah — A day after the slaying of Utah Jazz executive Greg Miller's mother-in-law, detectives were collecting evidence Wednesday at the South Salt Lake book shop where she was found stabbed to death.
Police had no immediate suspects in the slaying of Sherry Black, 64, who was found by her husband Tuesday afternoon at their store, B&W Collector Books and Billiards Supply, said police Officer Gary Keller.
Miller and other family members huddled Wednesday with detectives, and they planned to discuss a possible reward for help solving the case, Jazz spokeswoman Linda Luchetti said.
The husband, Earl Black, isn't a suspect, Keller said.
The Jazz will hold a moment of silence before Wednesday night's game against the Indiana Pacers, said coach Jerry Sloan. The families do not plan to attend the game, Luchetti said. No funeral arrangements have been made.
"It's a terrible thing to have to deal with," Sloan said Wednesday. "Our hearts go out to the Miller family."
Miller is chief executive of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies. He issued a statement calling the death of his mother-in-law "a senseless act of violence."
One of his team's stars, Deron Williams, had a similar reaction at a practice session Wednesday.
"This world we live in is messed up," Williams said. "Things like this shouldn't happen, but they do. Everybody should be with their family."
Detectives were collecting forensic evidence at the Black's shop on a busy South Salt Lake street.
Sherry Black collected used books for sale, mostly Mormon texts and children's books. Earl Black sold billiard tables at the same shop, said a longtime friend of the couple, Steve Wagner.
Wagner said he was at a loss for a motive in the slaying.
"Greatest people on the planet, both of them," said Wagner, an electrician who shared rafting trips with the Blacks in Utah. "They were modest people. They didn't expect anything from their kids. They were happy."
AP Sports Writer Lynn DeBruin in Salt Lake City contributed to this report.
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Video: Brandon Davies busts a move in...
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late father...
- German center Tibor Pleiss in town to talk...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Rose: BYU's Collinsworth focused on improving...
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Peavler: Why we can't stop talking... 58
- Morning links: BYU the best option for... 52
- Dick Harmon: Mendenhall opens up about... 49
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 44
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 24
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17