Utah Jazz to hold moment of silence for CEO Greg Miller's slain mother-in-law Sherry Black
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz are going into tonight's game against the Indiana Pacers with heavy hearts.
The team will hold a moment of silence before the 7 p.m. tipoff at EnergySolutions Arena to show respect to Jazz CEO Greg Miller's slain mother-in-law, Sherry Black, who was stabbed to death on Tuesday.
General manager Kevin O'Connor informed Jazz players at their morning shootaround session about the slaying of the 64-year-old mother of Miller's wife, Heidi.
"(Our) thoughts and prayers go out to the Miller family," Jazz captain Deron Williams said. "The world we live in is messed up, and things like this shouldn't happen but they do. Everybody should be with their family."
Sloan was also solemn while speaking of the tragedy, which happened Tuesday. Black's husband found her with "obvious" stab wounds in their business, B and W Billiards and Book at 3466 S. 700 East, at 1:43 p.m.
"It's a terrible thing to have to deal with, I'm sure," Sloan said. "Our hearts go out to the Miller family and Heidi and her family.
"You never know," he added. "That's why you've got to put everything you've got into today and worry about tomorrow later."
Miller, who came to the scene to comfort his wife, released a statement Tuesday night:
"Today, our family suffered an unimaginable loss. My mother-in-law, Sherry Black, was taken from us in a senseless act of violence. My wife, Heidi, and I ask that you please keep our father, Earl, as well as the entire Black family in your thoughts and prayers during this extremely difficult time."
The investigation of the homicide is ongoing by South Salt Lake police, although few details have been released.
Miller, who is also CEO of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, said Tuesday night that detectives are "diligently working to determine what took place."
Contributing: Molly Farmer
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 95
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 83
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 51
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 46
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 42
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 40
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 37
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36