EDMONTON, Alberta — Former Utah State star Anthony Calvillo led Montreal its second straight Grey Cup title and third in nine years, completing 29 of 42 passes for 336 yards in the Alouettes' 21-18 victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday night.
Last year in Calgary, the Alouettes won on Damon Duval's 33-yard field goal with no time left after Saskatchewan was called for too many men on the field on Duval's apparent game-ending miss from 43 yards. Montreal has played in eight of the last 11 Canadian Football League title games, also winning in 2002.
The Alouettes forced Saskatchewan to punt on eight straight possessions during the defensive game.
"Our defense played so well today," Calvillo said. "We worked so hard. We kept working and working and keep fighting and it pays off. Saskatchewan is an awesome team. We knew it was going to be tight."
Former West Virginia back Avon Cobourne ran for two touchdowns for Montreal, the second a 2-yarder that gave the Alouettes a 21-11 lead midway through the fourth quarter.
Saskatchewan cut it to three on Darian Durant's 1-yard scoring pass to guard Marc Parenteau with 3:08 left.
The Roughriders got the ball back after Duval missed a 41-yard field goal, but Billy Parker intercepted Durant's pass with 56 seconds remaining.
"We didn't play good Alouettes football," Montreal receiver Ben Cahoon said. "We struggled at times and our kicking game struggled. It shouldn't have been close."
Montreal receiver Jamel Richardson was selected the game MVP, and Saskatchewan defensive lineman Keith Shologan was honored as the top Canadian. Richardson had eight catches for 109 yards.
"My teammates believed in me and they kept calling my number, and I won't let them down," said Richardson, who played at Victor Valley College in Victorville, Calif.
A capacity crowd of 63,317 attended the game in 20-degree conditions at Commonwealth Stadium.
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to avoid...
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- Roster rundown: See the contract status and...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- Utah Jazz: Reflecting back on a rough...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 87
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 60
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 59
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 55
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24