EDMONTON, Alberta — Former Utah State star Anthony Calvillo led Montreal its second straight Grey Cup title and third in nine years, completing 29 of 42 passes for 336 yards in the Alouettes' 21-18 victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday night.
Last year in Calgary, the Alouettes won on Damon Duval's 33-yard field goal with no time left after Saskatchewan was called for too many men on the field on Duval's apparent game-ending miss from 43 yards. Montreal has played in eight of the last 11 Canadian Football League title games, also winning in 2002.
The Alouettes forced Saskatchewan to punt on eight straight possessions during the defensive game.
"Our defense played so well today," Calvillo said. "We worked so hard. We kept working and working and keep fighting and it pays off. Saskatchewan is an awesome team. We knew it was going to be tight."
Former West Virginia back Avon Cobourne ran for two touchdowns for Montreal, the second a 2-yarder that gave the Alouettes a 21-11 lead midway through the fourth quarter.
Saskatchewan cut it to three on Darian Durant's 1-yard scoring pass to guard Marc Parenteau with 3:08 left.
The Roughriders got the ball back after Duval missed a 41-yard field goal, but Billy Parker intercepted Durant's pass with 56 seconds remaining.
"We didn't play good Alouettes football," Montreal receiver Ben Cahoon said. "We struggled at times and our kicking game struggled. It shouldn't have been close."
Montreal receiver Jamel Richardson was selected the game MVP, and Saskatchewan defensive lineman Keith Shologan was honored as the top Canadian. Richardson had eight catches for 109 yards.
"My teammates believed in me and they kept calling my number, and I won't let them down," said Richardson, who played at Victor Valley College in Victorville, Calif.
A capacity crowd of 63,317 attended the game in 20-degree conditions at Commonwealth Stadium.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14