Trio of Jazzmen whistled for technical fouls in first half
LOS ANGELES — The Utah Jazz's 109-97 victory was interrupted early on by some technical difficulties.
Veterans Raja Bell, Earl Watson and Ronnie Price each got called for technical fouls in the first half, which Jazz coach Jerry Sloan considered a sign that his team "without a doubt" lacked a bit of composure early on.
"The only guy who should get technicals is the coach," Sloan said.
The Clippers missed two of the three freebies, so it didn't come back to bite the Jazz as badly as it could have. Utah was better behaved after halftime when it rolled to the rout by outscoring L.A. 57-37.
"We shut up in the second half and just played basketball," Jazz point guard Deron Williams said.
Watson's and Price's T's were of the new "respect for the game" variety. Bell, however, was T'd up for pushing Griffin after the Jazz called a timeout and the big man was in his way.
Griffin followed Bell part way to the Jazz bench, staring down the feisty Jazz guard.
"We came together there at the scorer's table. It wasn't a big deal," Bell explained. "He wasn't moving and so I just kind of cleared him to get a little space, so I could get to the bench. Whatever."
It was the third technical the 11-year NBA vet has received this season. But Bell said the NBA rescinded a technical he received on Wednesday against New Orleans, so he officially only owes the league $4,000 for two T's.
"They took back that one from last game," Bell said. "We agreed that it was probably unwarranted."
Bell said he isn't worried, though, "As long as I'm not arguing with the refs all the time and getting five or six techs for that.
"If," he added, "they're going to give me a tech for what I did tonight, then so be it."
e-mail: email@example.com; TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22