Trio of Jazzmen whistled for technical fouls in first half
LOS ANGELES — The Utah Jazz's 109-97 victory was interrupted early on by some technical difficulties.
Veterans Raja Bell, Earl Watson and Ronnie Price each got called for technical fouls in the first half, which Jazz coach Jerry Sloan considered a sign that his team "without a doubt" lacked a bit of composure early on.
"The only guy who should get technicals is the coach," Sloan said.
The Clippers missed two of the three freebies, so it didn't come back to bite the Jazz as badly as it could have. Utah was better behaved after halftime when it rolled to the rout by outscoring L.A. 57-37.
"We shut up in the second half and just played basketball," Jazz point guard Deron Williams said.
Watson's and Price's T's were of the new "respect for the game" variety. Bell, however, was T'd up for pushing Griffin after the Jazz called a timeout and the big man was in his way.
Griffin followed Bell part way to the Jazz bench, staring down the feisty Jazz guard.
"We came together there at the scorer's table. It wasn't a big deal," Bell explained. "He wasn't moving and so I just kind of cleared him to get a little space, so I could get to the bench. Whatever."
It was the third technical the 11-year NBA vet has received this season. But Bell said the NBA rescinded a technical he received on Wednesday against New Orleans, so he officially only owes the league $4,000 for two T's.
"They took back that one from last game," Bell said. "We agreed that it was probably unwarranted."
Bell said he isn't worried, though, "As long as I'm not arguing with the refs all the time and getting five or six techs for that.
"If," he added, "they're going to give me a tech for what I did tonight, then so be it."
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37