Trio of Jazzmen whistled for technical fouls in first half
LOS ANGELES — The Utah Jazz's 109-97 victory was interrupted early on by some technical difficulties.
Veterans Raja Bell, Earl Watson and Ronnie Price each got called for technical fouls in the first half, which Jazz coach Jerry Sloan considered a sign that his team "without a doubt" lacked a bit of composure early on.
"The only guy who should get technicals is the coach," Sloan said.
The Clippers missed two of the three freebies, so it didn't come back to bite the Jazz as badly as it could have. Utah was better behaved after halftime when it rolled to the rout by outscoring L.A. 57-37.
"We shut up in the second half and just played basketball," Jazz point guard Deron Williams said.
Watson's and Price's T's were of the new "respect for the game" variety. Bell, however, was T'd up for pushing Griffin after the Jazz called a timeout and the big man was in his way.
Griffin followed Bell part way to the Jazz bench, staring down the feisty Jazz guard.
"We came together there at the scorer's table. It wasn't a big deal," Bell explained. "He wasn't moving and so I just kind of cleared him to get a little space, so I could get to the bench. Whatever."
It was the third technical the 11-year NBA vet has received this season. But Bell said the NBA rescinded a technical he received on Wednesday against New Orleans, so he officially only owes the league $4,000 for two T's.
"They took back that one from last game," Bell said. "We agreed that it was probably unwarranted."
Bell said he isn't worried, though, "As long as I'm not arguing with the refs all the time and getting five or six techs for that.
"If," he added, "they're going to give me a tech for what I did tonight, then so be it."
e-mail: email@example.com; TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7