ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Ryan Brimley hit a 3-pointer with three seconds remaining, and Southern Utah survived a furious comeback to defeat Houston Baptist 64-61 on Saturday for seventh place in the Great Alaska Shootout.
Houston Baptist (0-6), bidding for its first victory of the year, clawed back from a 15-point halftime deficit and tied the game at 61 when Jonathan Evans made one of two free throws with 27 seconds remaining.
"I think we lost some intensity in the second half, with the big lead, but they got a spark and made it a game," SUU coach Roger Reid said. "Give them credit, they battled the whole way, Brimley got free on the left wing for his game winner."
Houston Baptist's Michael Moss missed a 3-pointer from just over the half-court line as time expired.
The Thunderbirds (2-4) exploited their height advantage inside to build a 38-23 halftime lead, with Massey scoring 10 and Matt Hodgson six. Southern Utah had a 25-11 rebounding edge, including 10 offensive rebounds in the first half.
Massey finished with 20 points and eight rebounds. Hodgson and Kyle Davis had 11 points apiece.
Andrew Gonzalez led the Huskies with 18 points before fouling out with 4:28 remaining. Moss added 12.
Southern Utah outrebounded Houston Baptist 46-28 for the game, including 20 offensive rebounds.
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 32
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25