Weber State basketball: Technically speaking, 'Cats eke out win
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Damian Lillard hit two free throws after a technical foul with 5.7 seconds left Saturday night, and Weber State defeated Drake 82-81 for third place in the Carrs-Safeway Great Alaska Shootout.
Drake (2-3) thought it had the game won when Lillard, who finished with 31 points, drove the lane and was called for an offensive foul.
But Bulldogs forward Aaron Hawley spiked the ball after the whistle and was called for the technical. Referees reviewed the play before confirming the call.
Weber State (3-3) trailed 46-34 at halftime but rallied behind Lillard's 27 second-half points. Scott Bamforth had 22 for the Wildcats, and Byron Fulton had 14 on 6-of-11 shooting for Weber State, which shot 52 percent overall and 53 percent (10-18) from 3-point range.
Rayvonte Rice, who gave Drake the lead after banking a short jumper with 17.8 seconds left, had a team-high 21 points. Ryan Wedel had 17 points, and Hawley had 15 points and six rebounds.
Drake guard Kurt Alexander got off the final shot after streaking down the court, but it bounced off the rim at the buzzer. The Missouri Valley Conference school finished fifth place in its inaugural Shootout appearance.
Guard Ryan Wedel was also hot for the Bulldogs, from Des Moines, Iowa, scoring 17 points on 6-of-11 shooting (5-8 3FG). Drake shot 57 percent from the field and 50 percent (14-28) from long distance.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15