Weber State basketball: Technically speaking, 'Cats eke out win
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Damian Lillard hit two free throws after a technical foul with 5.7 seconds left Saturday night, and Weber State defeated Drake 82-81 for third place in the Carrs-Safeway Great Alaska Shootout.
Drake (2-3) thought it had the game won when Lillard, who finished with 31 points, drove the lane and was called for an offensive foul.
But Bulldogs forward Aaron Hawley spiked the ball after the whistle and was called for the technical. Referees reviewed the play before confirming the call.
Weber State (3-3) trailed 46-34 at halftime but rallied behind Lillard's 27 second-half points. Scott Bamforth had 22 for the Wildcats, and Byron Fulton had 14 on 6-of-11 shooting for Weber State, which shot 52 percent overall and 53 percent (10-18) from 3-point range.
Rayvonte Rice, who gave Drake the lead after banking a short jumper with 17.8 seconds left, had a team-high 21 points. Ryan Wedel had 17 points, and Hawley had 15 points and six rebounds.
Drake guard Kurt Alexander got off the final shot after streaking down the court, but it bounced off the rim at the buzzer. The Missouri Valley Conference school finished fifth place in its inaugural Shootout appearance.
Guard Ryan Wedel was also hot for the Bulldogs, from Des Moines, Iowa, scoring 17 points on 6-of-11 shooting (5-8 3FG). Drake shot 57 percent from the field and 50 percent (14-28) from long distance.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32