Utah Utes football: Utah's Brandon Burton makes the play to lift the Utes
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Before the Ute defense lined up before BYU's potential winning 42-yard field goal try, U. special teams coach Jay Hill decided to make a change. He didn't know why, but he switched Brandon Burton and Lamar Chapman from their usual positions and put Burton on the left side and Chapman on the right.
A few seconds later, Burton raced in and got his fingers on Mitch Payne's field goal try, giving Utah a 17-16 victory thanks to his block, and sending the Ute players and Rice-Eccles crowd into a frenzy.
Although he made the call, Hill made sure Burton got all the credit for making the game-winning play.
"I switched Brandon to the other side and he did a great job coming tight and put his hands on the ball," Hill said. "I don't know, I just felt he was going to get it. Sometimes in coaching you have a feeling, but he made the play — don't put that down as me."
Burton said it was his first blocked kick since high school, but he works on it every day in practice.
"I just knew I had to make a play for my team," Burton said. "I knew I had a shot when I came around the edge. I just came in full speed and laid out and made the play."
Coach Kyle Whittingham praised both Hill and Burton, saying, "Jay Hill does a great job with the special teams and he had a great max block dialed up. We just brought everybody and that was a great job by Brandon Burton to get a hand on it."
Now Burton will go down in Utah football lore for his blocked kick that gave the Utes a win over their rivals.
"It's the greatest game I've ever been a part of," he said.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20