Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Partly cloudy. High of 41 degrees.
BYU (6-5, 5-2) at Utah (9-2, 6-1)
Today, 1:30 p.m., Rice-Eccles Stadium
FieldTurf Surface ? Salt Lake City
TV: The mtn./CBS C
Radio: 1160 AM/700 AM
For BYU ... The Cougars are looking to guarantee a winning season and claim a share of second place in the MWC standings with a victory today.
For Utah ... The Utes will finish with sole possession of second place in the MWC with a victory. They'll also even the head-to-head series between Kyle Whittingham and Bronco Mendenhall at 3-3 with a win.
For BYU ... The Cougars are riding a four-game winning streak and have won five of their last six. In the rivalry game, BYU has come out on top in three of the last four meetings.
For Utah ... The Utes have won three of the past four games against the Cougars in Salt Lake City. Quarterback Jordan Wynn threw for a career-high 362 yards in last week's victory over San Diego State at Qualcomm Stadium.
For BYU ... The Cougars are peaking at the right time. They've outscored their last three opponents, 48-8.
For Utah ... There's no place like home for the Utes. They've won 21 of their last 22 games at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Jake Heaps, BYU: The true freshman quarterback is going into a hostile environment in the biggest game of his career so far. Will he be able to avoid mistakes and turnovers?
Jordan Wynn, Utah: How will the sophomore fare after a big bounce-back game against San Diego State?
BYU's rushing attack vs. Utah defense: The Cougars average 172.8 yards per game on the ground, third-best in the MWC. Utah counters with a rushing defense that has given up an average of 107.7 yards per game, 10th best in the nation.
Utah: DT Sealver Siliga (shin) is expected to play after missing the San Diego State game. TE Brad Clifford (shoulder) is also expected to be back. DEs Junior Tui'one (calf) and Trevor Reilly (ankle) are probable and doubtful, respectively.
Both teams are bowl eligible and are expected to receive formal invitations on Dec. 5.
SCHEDULE — BYU
Date Opponent Time (TV)
Sept. 4 vs. Washington W, 23-16
Sept. 11 at Air Force L, 35-14
Sept. 18 at Florida State L, 34-10
Sept. 25 vs. Nevada L, 27-13
Oct. 1 at Utah State L, 31-16
Oct. 9 vs. SDSU W, 24-21
Oct. 16 at TCU L, 31-3
Oct. 23 vs. Wyoming W, 25-20
Nov. 6 UNLV W, 55-7
Nov. 13 at Colorado State W, 49-10
Nov. 20 vs. New Mexico W, 40-7
Nov. 27 BYU 1:30 p.m. (CBS C/mtn.)
SCHEDULE — UTAH
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 2 vs. Pitt W, 27-24 (OT)
Sept. 11 vs. UNLV W, 38-10
Sept. 18 at New Mexico W, 56-14
Sept. 25 vs. San Jose W, 56-3
Oct. 9 at Iowa State W, 68-27
Oct. 16 at Wyoming W, 30-6
Oct. 23 vs. Colorado St. W, 59-6
Oct. 30 at Air Force W, 28-23
Nov. 6 TCU 1:30 p.m. L, 47-7
Nov. 13 at Notre Dame L, 28-3
Nov. 20 at SDSU W, 38-34
Nov. 27 BYU 1:30 p.m. (CBS C/mtn)
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 87
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 39
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24