Virtually overnight the Eyres became household names — or at least names for the concerned, enlightened American household.
They have been writing, speaking, traveling and headlining parenting seminars ever since, still at a loss to adequately explain their good fortune.
"It's hard to know what word to use," says Richard. "Luck is the simplest explanation. Providence, guidance, whatever it is, we've had a lot of it."
Their successful formula also might be due to what they insist they are not.
"We're not experts," says Richard. "Both of us are uncomfortable and have always been uncomfortable being called experts. We're not here to tell anyone how to parent; we're here to popularize parenting. We want people to think of us as fellow strugglers, fellow strugglers who have been around a little and gained some experience."
Another something they don't do is attempt to define parenthood or family in strictly traditional terms. "We don't see one kind of parents," Richard adds. "We think of family in the biggest sense. Everyone is part of a family, everyone needs balance, and virtually all people have children in their lives."
Still together after all these years — more together than ever, in fact — and surrounded by all their children and grandchildren, Richard and Linda knock on wood and admit to no regrets.
Well, maybe one.
"We should have never sold the Porsche," says Richard.
To read more from the Eyre's see:
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 47
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 34
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 22
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- A new approach: What the poor can teach... 8