Utah Utes football: For Utah's seniors, a game for goodbyes
SALT LAKE CITY — The game against BYU won't be the only thing on Utah coach Kyle Whittingham's mind on Saturday.
"We're saying goodbye to 18 seniors," he said, noting this year's class has more wins over a four-season stretch than any other group in team history. "The guys have been great leaders for us, on and off the field, and just a terrific group to be around. So we're going to miss those guys."
The players will be honored in pregame ceremonies, a "Senior Day" tradition.
"This is their last chance to play in front of the home crowd," Whittingham said. "So we appreciate what they've done."
The 2010 class has won 41 games, one more than the previous record-holders of 2009. They can raise the bar even higher with a victory over BYU and in the bowl game that is sure to follow.
"I think it's just a tribute to the people before us and coach Whittingham, really," said defensive end Christian Cox, who is one of the team captains. "Those guys set the foundation."
This year's seniors include Cox, Neli A'asa, Matt Asiata, Jereme Brooks, Daniel Bukarau, Terrance Cain, Lamar Chapman, Brad Clifford, Chad Manis, Joe Phillips, Caleb Schlauderaff, Shaky Smithson, Justin Taplin-Ross, Zane Taylor, Junior Tui'one, Walter Watts, Eddie Wide and Kamaron Yancy.
"It still doesn't feel real that this is (our) last game at Rice-Eccles. I'm very excited to have family down on the field before the game," Cox said, while expressing a determination to finish things off right.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16