"He went to the same junior high as me. I've known him for a little while and we still keep in contact. He's a good guy," said Chaz.
"He's a good running back. He's athletic and he's quick. I've just got to stay sound in my keys and my reads and make plays when he runs through my hole."
Kariya calls Chaz a "great" football player.
"The first time we met each other was in junior high when we were student officers," Kariya said. "We played on the same high school team together. I have a lot of respect for him and for his family, and they are great people.
"I'm interested in (Chaz's) success and hope he does well," Kariya continues. "Hopefully, not quite as well as he's done in the past and we can bust open some runs against him. But he is a great player and I respect him."
As for Luke, Kariya says when he's carrying the ball, he'd suggest Luke cheer for him and, if Chaz is making the tackle, root for the one who is making the plays.
"I know both of us are going to try as hard as we can and give our best effort," Kariya says. "Hopefully, he can be loyal to both of us, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully, I can talk to him after the game; hopefully, he's wearing blue — we'll see."
It's an interesting perspective to be in Luke's situation, to intimately have so much invested in two players on opposite sides in a game like this.
It's also an opportunity to be thankful, just grateful he is related to two guys who epitomize the backbone of two programs come game day.
Unlike so many fans who will ratchet it up emotionally this weekend, Luke cannot lose.
He has embedded heroes on both sides.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz host third pre-draft workout,...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- BYU baseball team confident entering... 8